Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got an unpleasant surprise when I got home. Two piles of diarrhea and three spots of vomit. Sabby was acting fine, though, so I just cleaned it up and didn't worry about it. This morning things have not improved. He's vomited three more times and went to the bathroom at least 4 times, diarrhea each time. I'm going to make an appointment for him today when the vet's office opens. I'm really worried. :(

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Sabby's sick

Poor Sabby :(
I do hope he's all right. He looks so adorable.
I'll probably be off-line now till Monday - I hope I can read some good news about Sabby then.
Best wishes

seashell

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's going in at 11:30 eastern time. I'm a little apprehensive. The vet my old vet recommended is unavailable today, so I'm just getting whoever's available. I miss Dr. Rehmer...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Keeping fingers crossed for sweet old Sabby!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am sorry to hear Sabby is sick.
I'll be waiting to hear how it goes at the vet.
I hope it is nothing serious.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Diagnosis: irritable bowell

I have to switch his food (again!) to I/d. I think it's made by Hills. My new vet is OK. Apparently she's seen me several times before and I just don't remember her. She even knew my name and pronounced it correctly. :)

One thing she said that bothered me was that Sabby will have to lose some weight. See, I know that already, but I don't know how to get him to lose it. I play with him whenever he'll allow and I don't overfeed him.

I'm very relieved, though. I'm happy to have him home again.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
That is so good to hear! I was so worried about your baby.
Can you talk to her about whether there is a diet food that would work with the irritable bowel?

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I used to have to feed my cats Science Diet I/D too... I'm glad that Sabby is ok and hope he gets better. :wink:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sabby

Canned i/d, I hope! You know my solution to weight problems--ditch the dry food and feed only canned. Best for diabetics, too, though you have to watch insulin because in many cats the requirements will decrease.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. Canned I/D. They said dry was ok, but I insisted on canned (even though it's $1.15 per can :!: ) I even asked to be sure that the I/D was OK with Sabby's diabetes and all.

Thank you everyone, for your support. :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
a solution for weight loss is only canned food?

any certain kind? I've been struggling with Moby for a while. He's on Iam's weight controll right now. I've been meaning to switch to something better, but had boughten a big bag I had to use. I'm on a smaller one now - had a coupon.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I forgot to tell you all about his medicine. I don't remember the name of the pill, but they crushed it up and put it in liquid for me because they said the pill tasted bad and it would be easier on him if I just squirted it into the back of his throat. Well, I tried that and it was the hardest, most disgusting thing I've had to do to my cat (and I have to give insulin injections twice a day :!: ).

I sat down on the floor with the syringe of medicine and sat Sabby in my lap. Then I inserted the syringe in the gap where he had a tooth removed and was able to squirt a little bit of the liquid into his mouth before he squirmed his head away. He looked at me all irritated, but then the taste hit him. He has never fought me so hard in 14 years of having him. He started foaming at the mouth. It took me another minute or two before I was able to get the rest of the liquid in his mouth (it was only .3 CCs!). I was completely covered in cat slobber. My shirt was soaked, I had to go towell off! There was saliva flung against my walls. I came back after cleaning up and he looked like a St. Bernard. There were two lines of drool just hanging off his mouth about 8 inches.

I don't want to do that again. It just can't be good for him.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sabby

Yep, canned food for weight loss. Any of the good brands as AngelZoo pointed out. Best to get the large cans, as there is some evidence (not yet published so I can't really assess the quality of the research) that the lining of the small pop-top cans (the ones with the white lining) is correlated with development of hyperthyroidism.

Re Sabby, I can't believe they think a pill tastes worse than liquid. If you give the pill properly, it goes on the back of the tongue beyond the taste buds, and they don't taste a thing. I'd exchange the liquid for the pills--and don't let them charge you for it, it's their mistake. Geez, they must've thought you were an amateur! :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking the same thing, Dr. Jean. Except I went along with the liquid thing because Sabby is really, really hard to pill. I usually can get him to take liquids with no problems. But I pop that pill into the back of his throat and massage his neck until he swallows and he still manages to spit the darn thing out! When we moved a couple years ago I found all of his antibiotics under the couch! Why can't they just gel coat pills like they do for humans. It'd sure make my life easier. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
LOL!!!

You might try a pill gun, which will shoot the pill way back in the throat. Then follow it up right away with a squirt of water from a syringe to make him swallow. Once you get the hang of it, it's really fast, hardly time for him to object! (Although I suspect he'll do his best!)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have that scene from Dennis the Menace in my head where Dennis shoots a pill into Mr. Wilson's mouth with a slingshot. :lol:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Sabbu's sick..

I was so pleased to hear that Sabby is getting better. I've got used to seeing that cute little face on your avatar - he's just too adorable. :)

seashell

1 - 20 of 20 Posts