Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat Binky is going to be 10 yrs old in April.
He's so far been healthy up until about a yr or so ago when he had a urinary tract infection which cleared up well.
Over the past month or two he has lost a LOT of weight.
He hardly ever comes out from under my bed, hardly eats, and when he does...makes a mess around his bowl. Yesterday, after not eating for days... he started puking, and when I went to pick him up... he howled and moaned pitifully. And that's how he's been for the past days...listless, and cries horribly when you go to move him.
He never drinks water from a bowl, and usually jumps up at the kitchen sink for a drink. Lately I've been carrying him over to the sink because he's too weak to get up himself. Too weak to move really.
Right now I'm unemployed and living at home. My mom only gets an SSI check monthly...and we've barely been making ends meet to survive.
We spent our last $50. bucks for the month today to take Binky to the vet. The vet examined him and said she couldn't tell what was wrong without xrays, bloodwork, etc. She found the hard spots in his stomach that I had found. She got her secretary to do an estimate, and it came to almost $600. bucks. I told her we couldn't afford that, so she said she'd try some medicine and to try to hydrate him. (he's painfully skinny and dehydrated now) That cost $150.. which they agreed to bill us till the 1st of the month. I talked with them and they said the were other alternatives, (meaning euthanasia) if we felt we couldn't afford treatment...so that he wouldn't suffer. She did a bunch of calculations of his 6 lb. weight, etc., and came up with a figure of $160. to put him to sleep. I told her that I am a recovering heroin addict, and asked if she was gonna OD him on primo China White Dope. And told her that I could kill my own 225 lb. self on 3 bags of Heroin for only $45 bucks.
I know this is going to sound horrifying and will get negative responses, and I am crying as I type this...but does anyone know of a cheaper, "do it yourself" method of euthanasia for a cat that's quick, easy, and not painful? It would break my heart, and I probably would wimp out at the last minute...but I don't want to see him suffer if this antibiotic doesn't take effect. But unfortunately my situation can't afford otherwise. I have no one else to turn to for the amount of money it would cost just to properly diagnose him...let alone cure him. (And that's IF he is curable after the diagnosis) He's lost half his body weight, doesn't eat, drink, or move...and does nothing but cry when touched. I have access to hypodermic needles because of a diabetic friend if that's any help. I am so devastated and broken hearted over this...but again don't want to see my little Binky suffer due to my bad situation.
Any advice would be extremely appreciated.
Thank you.
eddie

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
What an adorable cat. I'm so sorry to hear he's not doing well. I hate to tell you this because I'm sure it won't make you feel any better -- but your vet is WAY overcharging you. Euthanasia usually costs about 50 bucks on average. I have no idea why she says it will be so much. I would try your local humane society -- they usually do euthanasias for cheaper. Check around -- ANY place is cheaper than your current vet. This is the last time you want to be taken advantage of. It sounds from his symptoms, especially the lumps, that his condition is very critical and would cost a lot of money to even diagnose, let alone treat. But I'm no expert. I do know that you can find a cheaper euthanasia. I know how hard it is to make the decision -- and I don't know about doing it yourself but I have never heard of anyone doing that who wasn't a vet themselves. You want a professional to do it in case something would go wrong -- because your cat should go peacefully, not be put through any more stress or pain. I really hope you find an answer.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I feel so bad for you and Binky and this horrible situation you're in now. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for you, I didn't do any research into this, cause I'm taking my cats in to a vet if that time comes. Like ForJazz said, it's important to find a professional that can do this in a painless and humane way, otherwise if you do it wrong you could cause even more pain to your poor cat.

I really hope that you can find a solution very soon, it just broke my heart to hear how much pain he's in. And yes, I think it's very ironic that $45 will buy someone enough to OD, but not enough to help a suffering cat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
.... Binky kinda looks like my cat. He has the same expression. I don't know how to help sorry but please don't try doing it yourself like someone said contact your local humane society or welfare group

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where is it you live? This is terrible for you! I think it's unfair they have to charge you so much! In Australia, [Western] there is an organisation called Animal Aid. They pay half your vet bill if you have a legitimate reason and are in a financial problem or have little money, that sort. I wonder if you have an organisation of the sort where you live? I often do charity work for them.

It's worth searching. Otherwise, go to a different vet. If you are already signed up to one you might have to change to another vet even if it is to put your Binki to rest. I know no way to put your cat to sleep, sorry, but if you can find the cheaper vet as ForJazz said, then go for it. And it depends what country you are in. If that is $160 US then yes you are being horribly overcharged. If it is Australian, that is on average...yes still overcharging you. Again, I am really sorry, may Binki have all the best for him.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I ran into a similar situation a while back when my Femix got sick at the worst possible time in my life, and I felt so awful that I didn't have the resources to help her, it was one of the worst feelings I ever had. After borrowing to the hilt from friends and Check-N-Go for tests and meds, she began to respond but then took a serious turn for the worst. The vet allowed me to write a post dated check to have her 'put down', but it was only $50 bucks for a cat less than 10lbs, and that included disposal of her remains. I feel your pain, and wish you well, I thought of the same things you're thinking. I was with her and held her to the end and I'm confident she didn't suffer and the relief of knowing she wasn't in pain anymore was a hugh load off my spirit. good luck, man. )))

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 8 yr old cat had intestinal cancer and was put to sleep last Nov. 26. The vet's office charged me $29 for the euthanasia. The quote you received seems awfully high. There must be some other hidden charges but I agree with the other posts - call around and I'm sure you'll be able to find something within your budget. Good luck with everything and my heart goes out to you. It's not an easy decision but one that will ultimately allow your baby to be pain free and at peace.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would call another vet or your local humane society. We had to put down our Allie and Molly last May and the cost was $80 for both of them together. Your vet is way overcharging you.

I am so sorry you have to go through this. It is so tough to see your pet suffer and not be able to do anything for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all

Thank you all for your kind and understanding words.
I made a duplicate post on another newsgroup, and was called a troll, chatised for having been a recovering drug addict, and told the cat's condition was because of me. They totally missed the point I was trying to make about the high price of euthanasia, and that I have been clean for over 10 yrs, and got the cat long after I stopped.
Amazing how many unkind & unsympathetic people there are out there, who only see what they want to in a post.
Some kind people offered to send money to the vet, which wasn't what I asked for either.
I just wanted some kinds words and advice...which is what I got from you all. So far I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude for the next week, to see if the medication does anything. Binky actually got up on his own today and tried to eat. So I'm hoping against ope...that somehhow he'll get better.
As far as putting him down...I'll see what happens, and will be contacting some of the organizations you folk mentioned here.
I'll keep you updated as to what happens.
Thank you all,
eddie

·
Registered
108 Posts
Eddie,
So sorry that you had to be treated so poorly on the other forums. It's so terrible to judge others. Some people didn't have it as easy in life as some others. I think that it's just sickening how much vets can take adavantage of people! They charge WAY too much. I just read an article in Readers Digest about this same topic. I am glad that you have remained clean and hope you countinue to do well in life.
GOOLD LUCK with your Binky! Give us an update when you can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts