Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Recently I posted about my cat being diagnosed with having a parasite. She had been feeling better, but she's sick again, lost more weight and no appetite, though she wants food. I took her to the vet today and he took an X-ray and there is a density to her that the vet couldn't see any of her organs clearly. Have to take her back tomorrow and hopefully they will be able to get an ultrasound on her, trouble is, the place that gives the ultrasound is a traveling unit and they're not sure they can still be in this region tomorrow to give the test. They're also talking about surgery. The vet says that they can do exploratory surgery and see if it is anything that can be helped by surgery, but he doesn't sound very positive. :( . Please keep Kitt in your thoughts.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm a bit confused by some of your comments.

You said your cat has/had a parasite, what kind, and what was done to get rid of them?

About the x-rays, what exactly did he say to you, if in the x rays the doctor was unable to see much of anything at all, that could mean 2 things... something went wrong while taking that x-ray and it would up developing incorrectly, or there is something inside this cat blocking the doctors ability to veiw inside of this cat. Did you see these x-rays yourself? I haven't read your former posts, but if you cat has not been eating for a long time, I would take immediate action, even if that means gathering all your files and x-rays and getting a second opinion at another doctor's office.

What other diagnostics has this doctor done for your cat, I ask because I know nothing of the situation, not because something is necissarily being done wrong. Typically things like x-rays and exploritory surgies are last result moves, everything else applicable should be done first.

If that ultrasound can not be done in a timely matter, then find a place who can do it for you sooner.

You also mentioned your cat has no appiteite, but that she wanted to eat. I'm confused.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Cattybird, I'm so sorry that Kitt is ill, and that you have this terrible worry. I hope the vet has the answer soon and the Kitt will be on the way to good health soon. I'm praying for her now. God bless.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AngelZoo, I've forgotten the name of the kind of parasite, and I'm not sure that she has gotten rid of it. Yes, I did see the X-rays, and no it was not tsomething that happened to the X-ray. I mean there's a cloudy density in Kitts body that prevented the vet from being able to see the organs in her body clearly. The trouble with getting the ultrasound done in a "timely" manner is that means I would have to go to Raliegh to get the X-ray done, and I don't drive, and my sister just had some major surgery and can't drive that far herself, and there's not really another place here in town that has the ultrasound equipment. AndI meant about Kitt wanting to eat and not being able to is just what it says, she wants to eat, in fact, she begs for food, and can't eat it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everybody. Thanks for your kind thoughts about Kitt. I'll let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I'd let you all know, we had Kitt put to sleep this morning. She was just too miserable, and the doctor said he didn't think that she would survive the surgery anyway because of her age, she was fourteen, and the fact that she was deteriating(SP?) so fast. It was hard, but it was probably for the best. I miss her terribly.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
God bless you, Cattybird. I'm sure you made the right choice. I know that doesn't ease your pain, but you know our thoughts and prayers are surrounding you right now. Kitt's age is proof that you gave her a wonderful, long life. I'm sure she is purring in the arms of angels.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cat. My bf's cat passed away just a week ago so i know how you feel. You did everything you can and Kitt lived to be 14. That is a long time. I have a cat now that is 14. Again I'm sorry your cat has passed. :cry:

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that as well. :(

But 14 years is pretty old for a cat. The first cat I remember having at home (we had it since I was 4) had to be put to sleep when she was 14. She was very arthritic, and suffered from some kind of mental problem near the end I think (she would freak out and run for no reason - odd since she couldn't climb stairs - and licked a lot of her fur out). And oddly - although she died 7 years ago (and I didn't think it affected me) I STILL have dreams where she occurs in them. I'm always happy, presuming she was lost in the woods and has found her way back. It's weird cause I know that she was put to sleep in the dream but think I must have been mistaken. Ironically those dreams are actually not sad, but happy and are like remembering good times.

It is a very sad thing to do, but you have to think on the bright side that she will no longer have to suffer. Also, soon you be able to take in a new baby, which with God will will live just as long. :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Im sorry to hear that. I know your kitty lived a long wonderful life with you though. We're here if you need us! :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts