Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I apologize in advance as this will be a long post. Last Sunday we began noticing that our 4 year old female cat, Noonan wasn't herself. She showed little interest in her food although she's not a big eater anyway and wasn't as energetic as she normally is but she continued to drink and urinate as usual. I gave her chicken broth to try to get her appetite back. We thought she was just not feeling great and that we would take her into our usual vet who is a family friend, Tuesday morning as Monday was a holiday. On Monday she acted about the same, not as energetic, eating very little, her third eye-lid was showing more than usual (which I've now read is a sign that they're very ill) and she looked scruffier. I wish I'd taken her to the emergency vet then and there because she wasn't acting like herself but I didn't think it was an emergency as she wasn't vomiting and just seemed a bit "off". I thought it wasn't serious and that we could wait until Tuesday.

On Tuesday, we took her in right away and our vet did some bloodwork, a physical exam and an x-ray. She had lost a pound since her previous visit. I noticed Tuesday night that she seemed perkier and she ate the pureed chicken I made. She seemed thirsty though. Wednesday morning, our vet called my parents (as I said he's a family friend) to bring her right in as her kidney's were shutting down. My parents rushed her to our vet who immediately started her on IV fluid's to flush the kidneys. When I spoke to our vet, he said she wasn't looking good. The only thing they could do at this point was flush the kidneys out to attempt to get rid of the toxins and that hopefully that would allow the kidneys the chance to recover some function. He wasn't willing to tell me what her chances of recovery were, only that he's had animals with higher numbers recover.

I don't know what exactly caused this. We've been doing a lot of work painting inside our house but I've never seen her interested in the paint. She's primarily an in-door cat, however, on Saturday we were in the backyard working and she was outside and disappeared over the neighbours fence for a while. I don't think it would be antifreeze as she's timid around cars (thank goodness) and I've never seen her by our driveway let alone a neighbours driveway.

She was on IV fluids for 3 days and showed great improvement over those three days in terms of continuing to urinate and looking perkier, less scruffy and more like herself. She didn't eat well at the vets and I didn't think she would like their food since she's all about the gravy and she was nervous but on the last morning there, she ate all her food. We were so excited to bring her home yesterday but are scared of what to expect. Basically I was told that it's just a waiting game at this point. We were given 2 cans of food and told to pick more up on Monday. We were also given Azodyl and Fortekor and told that it would take a few days for the toxins to build back up if the kidneys are significantly damaged. I asked about another blood test, but our vet said the numbers would be lower because she's been hydrated for 3 days and to wait until later in the week to get a better idea of the kidney function. He also said that the numbers don't always determine how the cat's doing, but that their behaviour does.

The first thing Noonan did after coming home and greeting her sister, Kia was go downstairs to find her food bowl. I had to quickly put out the food our vet provided and she ate about 2 tablespoons like she was starving. In the past 22 hours she's eaten a whole can of the specialty food (this is unheard of for her as she's always been a picky eater!), urinated many times in her box and this morning she had a huge solid bowel movement. She's also been alert, with no third eye-lid, extremely affectionate (as usual), grooming a little and jumping up on the bed and couch although she's not racing around like she sometimes does. I'm assuming these are good signs but I'm fearful of getting too hopeful. We were devestated with the news and now that she seems to be getting better, it would be so sad to have that change.

It's not been easy finding positive outcomes for ARF on-line. Does anyone know what recovery for ARF cats is like and how long it takes?

I asked our vet about the subcutaneous fluids that people administer to their cats at home and he said he doesn't suggest it as it's a medical procedure and there's a chance for infection and it depends on how comfortable the owners are at giving those procedures.

I know that cats with CRF sometimes get this fluids but do most ARF cats require them too and for how long?

If you made it this far, thank-you for hanging in there!

I appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't really have any info for you but I just wanted to say I really hope Noonan's on the mend and comes through okay. From reading a few articles online it looks like once the cause is removed and kidneys flushed etc it should be uphill if they they get through so that would be a good sign. Keep me updated!

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Its very easy to subQ a cat. I hope she is on the mend. Your very lucky to have a friend who is a vet. Lavish her with love. Sending healing energy to yall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts