Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With both of these being filters of the bodies I feel I should get organic only. Does anyone know where I can get cheap healthy kidneys and livers in Fairfield county? Should I be this concerned? Is it cheaper to order them online?

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
You certainly can get organic ones if you prefer -- do you have a Whole Foods market in your area? Or talk with local organic farmers.

That said, the small amount of toxins left after processing is pretty minimal. You'll still be doing WAAAAAAY better than feeding commercial food, and most raw feeders don't worry overly much about this, esp. since organs comprise such a small % of the diet. :)

·
Banned
952 Posts
I will likely be picking up organic organs myself from now on. Just because organic, while not critical to a raw-fed cat's diet, is as much better for the cat as it is for us. And organs (at least, in my area) are really inexpensive, so it just makes sense for me.

I live the next state over, though, Josh, so can't help you much in actually locating products. :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
The only place I have been able to get organic organs is from a local food coop. Those tend to have more diverse types of meat. Don't know if that is just WA state though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found hearts,kidneys and tripe at local Shoprite. Sure it isnt organic,but its a start. How nutritous is tripe(stomach)?

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Yes, white is bad. You want green tripe. Tripe is fed as meat, not organ, BTW. I honestly haven't had much luck getting the cats to eat it -- the dogs LOVE it, but the cats turn up their noses (can't really blame them). Which is fine--there's nothing magic about it. It's low in phosphorus, so it's a good meat for cats/dogs w/ CRF (if they will eat it!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts