Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been sick for a couple of years. Since my immune system is really low, I have parasites....yuk!
My primary doctor said everyone needs meds...even the cat.

I need to give my 13-year-old Siamese, who has been hyperthyroid since March, a broad-spectrum deworm med. Problem is...I called the vet and they don't give meds unless I have seen parasites from the cat.

What is the safest and best dewormer I can give my cat? I need to basically cover all types of worms. Any info on where I can buy the meds myself?

Thanks!:catmilk

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
I would not give a cat any of the deworm medications you can get from a store. Take a stool sample to the vet and if the cat has worms they'll give you a dewormer.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My stool tested negative, although I have seen many parasites. IMHO, stool tests are not always accurate.

Can anyone else help?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Different dewormers treat different parasites. As far as I know, there is no single dewormer that kills all feline parasites. Drontal comes closer than any other dewormer, since it treats hookworms, large roundworms, and tapeworms. It's quite pricey, but it's the only one I know of that eliminates tapes. If you do a Google search on Drontal, you should be able to find a number of sources from whom you can purchase it by the pill without a prescription. You can buy it from KV Vet Supply, but only in bottles of 50 tablets for $179. As far as safety of this med is concerned for a 13 yr old, hyperT cat, I have no answer. That's one for your vet.

Laurie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts