Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and does great!

The first *ever* show and they both get an Ex 1 and Sam even gets a NOM. Might it be as good tomorrow? We hope so!

Suzy gets a good luck kiss from a nervous mommy. Daddy holds Sam:

Sam is judged:

Suzy is judged (nervous mommy looks on in the background):

More pics from the show will be posted on their homepage shortly.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Well hurry up, I'll be stalking their page in about two seconds.

For those of us who have no idea what the ratings are in cat shows, what does Ex 1 mean?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, lots of pictures up now!!! :D

Ex 1 is a good grade (I think they go Ex 1, Ex 2, Ex 3), which means they got more than a certain amount of points by the judge (exact numbers I don't know, what requires to what). Unfortunately we don't get to know what was getting the good points and what didn't. The judges can give maximum 100 points. I guess Ex is short for Excellent.

The best cat in their category, who gets a Ex 1, are taken back to the judge at the end and he/she then nominates the cat (NOM) forward in the competition.

It's a tad complicated to explain all the grades of stuff that happens at a show, I'm VERY new myself... but I'm sure there's some good links online to explain the judging better.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
You're right, I'm sure I can find lots of info. online.
Anyway, congrats to Sam and Suzy (and their parents too!).

·
Registered
672 Posts
Congrats little Sam and Suzy!!!

Is there a such thing as cat shows for "mutt" kitties? :)

I joke with my bf all the time about taking Stix to a show....he responds with "yeah, right..they will think he has rabies." It got me thinking if there really was such a thing as a show for non-purebred cats.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, on all cat shows here in Sweden they have a category for "mutts" (Cat V, Siamese and orientals are Cat IV). For some weird reason there's not many cats each show though. It's sad, because it would be great to see more of them!

I found a Canadian site about how cats compete. Here in Sweden we call them "Ex 1, Ex 2 and Ex 3" but it's the same thing as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (and they are given ribbons - I'll show you mine after tomorrow!).

http://www.cca-afc.com/compete.html

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the awsome amount of ribbons one gets for two days (and then some!).

To the left is the two Ex 1 ribbons Sam got (one for saturday and one for sunday) and the red NOM ribbon for being nominated to the panel.

Then there's Suzy's two Ex 1 ribbons (one for saturday and one for sunday) and her BIS (Best in Show) ribbon and the two plaques (the larger one for her NOM and the smaller one together with the BIS).

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
That's great! Now your kitties need their very own trophy display. :D Very pretty ribbons and plaques for gorgeous cats. Congratulations!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wonderful!

Congratulations to your kitties and yourself!! As always. . .great pictures on your site--you really do have a special talent.

BTW: On S&S's website > the phots of the cat show premiere > the first kitty with the tortie markings . . . .what type of breed it that??

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's my friend Maria's cat, a Norwegian Forest Cat.... Anuket. She did a great show and won BOX both days (Best Opposite Sex, i.e. she didn't win BIS, but it's harder when they are grown up so her win is better than Suzy's).

The grey cat a bit further down on the first day is an Egyptian Mau, very rare. Strawberry green eyes. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
I love all your pictures. I have the same camera unless you upgraded recently (Nikon Coolpix 5700)...how come my photos don't look like that!? :? Did you read the whole manual and set it ? What's your secret?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doeremi, Yes still got the same camera as you... but drooling over something bigger (a Nikon D70 would be a nice xmas present)... my husband said "no, she read the manual 3 times". But it's not completely true!

Yes, I did read the manual, but the trick is Photoshop. You can make a photo stand out much better with a few tricks in Photoshop.

I'd recommend a book called "Photoshop CS for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby. There you get many good tips about fixing your pictures to look good.

There's no digital camera that takes 100% good pictures. They may be acceptable, but for a nitpick like me, they always need some "darkroom work" and my computer is my darkroom, where I fix the finishing touches to a picture. You should see the originals, not even close to what you see posted, so there's some work done before they are posted, like adjusting white balance, adjusting levels and then I add some sharpness after I've resized them to fit on the web.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Okay, thanks Petra. But I can't even get close ups inside with my camera..maybe it's too dark. Constantly adjusting...darn thing drives me mad!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts