Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my only male cat is 2 years old and he's not neutered (I know he should have been aaaages ago). He's already gone through puberty so I'm kind of iffy about getting him fixed now because it won't guarantee that it'll fix his spraying problem since he's older. He sprays in the most random places (in my grandma's purse, on the fireplace wall, on piles of paper...) and it really drives me (and my dad) crazy. :fust Why does he feel the need to do this? Is there any solution (other than neutering) than can fix this? Like some kind of deterrent spray? Thanks people! :)

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I believe that your only chance it to neuter him and hope it hasn't become a habit. You're correct, he should have been done long ago.

·
Registered
716 Posts
please get him neutered. it is your only shot at getting him to stop the spraying and he will be much happier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was afraid of that :( Luckily all my girls were spayed a long time ago. It would have been the same for him if he hadn't come into my life during a rough period. But he will definitely be getting neutered this summer! We're so attached and he really only lets me touch him so I'm super nervous about taking him to the vet (AUGH! don't want my baby to hate me!). I have another question- will getting him neutered change his level of affectionateness? Will his attitude change towards me? Sorry, one more question that I just thought of- is there anything we can give him that will calm him down for the trip to the vet so he's not terrified out of his mind?

·
Banned
603 Posts
He really does nead to be nuetered. Check with your locol Humane Society about it. I know here its $30 for a male to be done.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, you really should neuter. You'll be more likely to have him stop spraying, usually mellows them out, and as for affection? He shouldn't be less affectionate. I've even seem some males that were more so afterwards. Though not sure if that was a coincidence or not. You shouldn't worry much about that. You also won't have to worry about him getting out and impregnating cats.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have seen my male cats become more affectionate after being neutered. While he is at the vet being neutered you will have to use an enzyme cleaner and really clean everywhere he has marked in the past. If you can get those areas cleaned well hopefully he will not mark his territory anymore.

·
Registered
336 Posts
There is a hormone injection that can be given for mature boys at the time of neutering. Agree with above, make sure to properly clean up the house while he's at the vet.

Even if he does continue to spray he won't have the strong tom cat pee smell

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Your male kitty will be a much happier cat being neutered. He wont feel the need to mark his territory. He will be just. as affectionate after the procedure.

He will continue to mark areas he can smell former marking. That is why it very important to throughly clean with an enzyme cleaner areas and object hes sprayed.

It would also help to put plug in Feliway dispensers near where he had marked. Spray with Feliway Spray a towel that will go into the carrier you will transport him to the vet in. FYI it takes a month for the remaining tertesterone out of his system.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just FYI, I have a male cat who was not neutered until I adopted him when he was grown (our vet guesses he was around 5 years old). I was worried that he would continue spraying, as it is what un-neutered male cats do. I did a lot of research before adopting him and learned that approximately neutering will solve the spraying problem in approximately 90% of cats. My cat never once sprayed in my house, but like PP said - it could continue for a few weeks.

I did, however, have a male cat when I was growing up who was neutered and continued to spray. It's not a 100% fix, but more than likely, if you get him neutered he will not continue to spray. Like everyone else said, he will be happier :)

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Get him neutered NOW. Like tomorrow. When he comes back, put him in a large dog crate w/ litterbox and bed and keep him there for a week or more. Keep the LB very clean and take him out to play w/him (in small room) but keep him in the crate. He won't love it, but it's for his own good--it will remind him what the LB is for.

In the meantime, clean the house from top to bottom using an enzymatic cleaner to get rid of the urine smell (even where you can't smell it, he CAN, so clean EVERYTHING).

Get Feliway infuser and spray, and use religiously.

Once all that is done, let him out of the crate, but if you can confine him to one room (w/ 2 LBs) for a few weeks that would be best.

When he gets out into the whole house, make sure you have 1 more LB than you have cats and keep them EXTREMELY clean.

Good luck!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Good luck! I have nothing else to say besides what has already been said. We had Ollie neutered 3 wks ago. He had not started spraying, but the neutering did not make him any less affectionate or change his personality in any way. He's 7 mos now. Your cat is still fairly young so I would think the neutering would help.

·
Registered
611 Posts
This is not meant to pile on, but to be helpful to anyone who reads this. I'm a bit new to cats, but I fail to see any reason not to neuter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts