Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each night when hubby goes to bed, Sam stands by the bedroom door and meows after him. He doesn't stop until I come and get him. I stay up an hour or two longer than hubby. At night it's not much of a problem, since I'm there and can show Sam he's not alone at all... that both Suzy and me are still around.

But in the mornings (and since I get to bed later I also wake up later) Sam does the same thing when hubby goes to work. I've woken up twice from Sam meowing at the door. But then I haven't acknowledge him at all and let him go. Eventually (and I have no grasp of time at that hour) he stops and the house grow quiet again.

I'm sure the neighbors thinks we're cruel to animals or something. The meows are so heart breaking.

I guess I'm more or less taken as one of the furniture in the house, since he never cries after me. Only time he cries (together with Suzy) is when I take a shower and he comes running to hubby and it seems he's saying "mommy is in danger, she's getting all soaked with that horrible thing called water!".

Both Sam and Suzy rather sit on me or beside me than hubby, so I'm not sure why Sam does this... unless I *am* part of the furniture to him. One with arms that pets him and throw toys for him. :D

Any suggestions to get him to stop crying after daddy? Should I totally ignore him at night (which I don't think is fair to the neighbors) to perhaps make him stop?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My neighbours also think I am cruel - every morning as soon as the alarm goes off Bumper starts meowing at us to get up - only he doesn't have a normal meow - it sounds like someone is hurting him (even to me - he could be playing with the other cats and meow and i have to check just in case). Anyway, the lady next door always asks how he is now and glares at me... ooops

If only she knew him - he is just overactive, overvocal and overplayful (oh and these meows also carry on into our night time 'chat' of meows.

Bumps however cries for both of us when we leave - but then generally we leave for work together - so not too sure.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the time nears 11 PM here in Sweden and bedtime draws near. I guess it'll be the same thing tonight again.

Dr. Jean, where are you when I need you? :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Awe CyberPet, I don't have any advice for you but I can certainly empathize. There's nothing more pathetic sounding than a Siamese holler. It can truly break your heart!!!

katsprat

·
Registered
697 Posts
My cat does that too. I was off for 7 weeks and he cried every morning Pete went to work. DOes it when we leave the house too. He never used to cry for Pete but has recently been geting more and more affectionate to him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, there's something unsettling about the cry of a cat. When my son cries, he's 2-1/2, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as when the cat cries. My son cries all the time! :lol: The cat, however, usually has a reason. :p He cries the most right when I get home from work. He comes running out of the bushes and sometimes jumps into the car. Very cute.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I agree the cries of the cat are heartbreaking. My Marsh only has the upstairs to roam in our big house; a gate blocks the downstairs. If we're all downstairs, which happens very rarely, he will sit by the gate and cry :( it feels horrible :( So i break down and run upstairs and all is well again :)

I also found that Marsh is very curious about men in general. He will smell and sit on their pants, socks and umm.. Underwear :oops: So maybe your Sam is just curious about your hubby and trying to do some male bonding??? :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts