Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Aww, the kitten sanbd cats are uber cute! :luv

They seem to lose their distinctive stripes in adulthood, just like lion cubs and their spots, pretty little things :)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never knew such tiny cats existed in the wild. The real wild, not the suburbs.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It depends on who produced the video.

There's a place called BigCatRescue near me that used to have an overly dramatic video on Youtube telling people that Bengal's are too dangerous to keep as pets. They've toned it down after complaint videos were posted but it was garbage.

Rae can respond to them.

Edit...I was wrong again. They're complaining about Savannahs. Still too dramatic.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Dave_ph said:
There's a place called BigCatRescue near me that produced an overly dramatic video on Youtube telling people that Bengal's are too dangerous to keep as pets.

Rae can respond to them.
And I shall. Those people who say that Bengals are dangerous are NUTS! They are no more dangerous than any other cat and MUCH more easily trainable than any other cat I've come across.

The only "Bengals" I would worry about keeping as pets would be cats of the "foundation" generations F1 through F3. The more ALC in the cat the more dangerous it would be to keep them but 1/16 or less Asian Leopard Cat (ALC), which is what you see in a standard Bengal doesn't make much of a difference from your normal cat.

Although some breeders say that, if handled, trained and habituated enough to humans even a F1 (half ALC) can make an ok pet but they are definately NOT for everyone.

The only way I can see a Bengal being a problem is if they are mistreated and given free reign to do what they like. If not given love, attention, "rules, boundaries and limitations" (to quote Cesar Milian, yes it applies to cats, horses, skin-kids as well as dogs). My Bengals were raised underfoot at the breeder's house (not caged) and were given love, attention and rules and they don't bite, or scratch on purpose.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They complained about F1, F2 Savannah's. Sorry I let work get in the way of my correctly posting on cat forum (;

Savanannh owners gave them a beating on Youtube.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Dave_ph said:
It depends on who produced the video.

There's a place called BigCatRescue near me that used to have an overly dramatic video on Youtube telling people that Bengal's are too dangerous to keep as pets. They've toned it down after complaint videos were posted but it was garbage.

Rae can respond to them.

Edit...I was wrong again. They're complaining about Savannahs. Still too dramatic.
It was in fact bigcatrescue IIRC lol

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mostly I just sit around knowing esoteric stuff and surfing the net all day but 3 people, 3 different people, came up and bothered me today. It was disconcerting.

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Mostly I just sit around knowing esoteric stuff and surfing the net all day but 3 people, 3 different people, came up and bothered me today.
How rude!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remarks from the guy at Big Cat rescue in Tampa:

"cats never like other cats"

"hey look, even when you're talking about house cats what's the odds...only about 50% of them like people"

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Pfffft! Spit! Spit! Rrrooowwwwrrr! Pfffffttt! *puts claws away and unruffles fur* They have obviously never met *my* kitties. :wink:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The seem kinda PEATish. I'd never get an F1 Savanaha because I couldn't devote the time to one and I definitely couldn't manage the intro to my highly evolved kitties but I'd never deny someone else the right to have one and I sure wouldn't put one in a pen.

The following is still on their website. Rae, I hope you survive with these vicious brutes in your house.

http://www.bigcatrescue.org/cats/wild/hybrids.htm

"While the rest of this article refers to Bengal Cats, the same is true of all of the hybrid cats. Some people have beautiful, fifth generation Bengal Cats that are reported to eat cat food, live quietly with domestic and use the litterbox fastidiously. This may well be the case, but the breeders tend to keep breeding back to the wild Leopard Cats in order to get the exotic markings. The idea was to glean the best of both worlds: a fabulously spotted or striped cat with all the gentleness of thousands of years of domestic history. Unfortunately, what more often happens is that you get the ordinary cat coat and a wild personality.

Even after 5 generations, that wild personality is a dominant trait and while it is marketed as being just like having a tiny tiger in your home, most people don't know what that really means. As someone who is not trying to sell you a $2000.00 kitten that you will one day take to the dog pound out of frustration, let me tell you what it is like to live with a hybrid.

We have a bunch of them that were former pets. We have had to turn away many, many more because most of them cannot run free outside and have to have the same cages as bobcats and cougars. They all spray. Male or female, neutered or not, first generation or fifth generation; I have never met one that didn't spray urine all over everything in their path.
They bite. Even in play, even if they love you, they bite and I have scars all over my hands to prove that their love nips will leave you bleeding. They want to eat your other pets and they don't care if it's a German shepherd, they are going to be constantly looking for a way to take the dog down. That is why many of them can't run free on Easy Street. They pick fights with 500 pound tigers. I have even received reports from Florida's Game and Fish Commission of them stalking little old ladies and I have been called in to trap and remove them. This discarded pet now lives on Easy Street, but most are not this lucky.

Please Don't Ask Us To Take Your Bengal Cat or Savannah

We get hundreds of letters each year from people who bought a cute little Bengal Cat kitten and who can't wait to get rid of them when they reach adulthood. We do not take in Bengal Cats and don't know anyone reliable who does. The Bengal Cat Rescue Network is the only place we have found online who offers to take in unwanted Bengal Cats and we cannot speak for their integrity or policies, but have listed a link to them here to help you try to find a home for the cat you have discovered is now spraying everything in sight and who is attacking your pets, children and spouse
"

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Dave_ph said:
They bite. Even in play, even if they love you, they bite and I have scars all over my hands to prove that their love nips will leave you bleeding.
My cats have NEVER bitten me. If these cats are taught from day one that human flesh is not to be bitten or scratched, they respect that.
Dave_ph said:
They want to eat your other pets and they don't care if it's a German shepherd, they are going to be constantly looking for a way to take the dog down. That is why many of them can't run free on Easy Street. They pick fights with 500 pound tigers. I have even received reports from Florida's Game and Fish Commission of them stalking little old ladies and I have been called in to trap and remove them.
OMG, these reports are so outrageous. I'll put up a video of Teddy playing with my parents' 8lb cockapoo/doxie and that'll prove otherwise. AND stalking old ladies?!?!?! Come on!
Dave_ph said:
We get hundreds of letters each year from people who bought a cute little Bengal Cat kitten and who can't wait to get rid of them when they reach adulthood.
Now that I understand. Bengals are NOT for everyone. They are not a cute mini-tiger that is content to curl up on a bed on the floor and walk quietly and sedately around the house. NO these cats LOVE to climb on EVERYTHING. I'm lucky that I've been able to keep them off the counters for the most part. Many people will get these cats and not know what they are getting into. I really think that this happens a lot more often with regular cats than people realize. It is probably more often associated with Bengals and other hybrids because people aren't as willing to drop an animal that they paid up to $2000 in a Walmart parking lot. I also think that another BIG issue here is people will buy the cats with "breeding rights" expecting to make money by selling the kittens and not know what they are getting into. Yes, these guys are prone to being more wild if they are not fixed.

I understand why (somewhat) why cat rescues may feel this way. However, they are going WAY overboard. I honestly think that most of the problems that they encounter with the hybrid cats stems from the fact that they are sold to unprepared and neglectful owners. I know the breeder I got my boys from has had to take back several of the cats that she has sold to people because these people couldn't handle them. *sigh* It's unfortunate but at least she is a good breeder (even though she is getting out of breeding) and makes sure that all her kitties will always have a home.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sorry for the blatant expression of outrage.

I just get SOOO mad when people get animals before educating themselves. I've seen this all too many times with people getting dogs and then they doing train them. Then when the dog chews up the couch or bites someone they send the dog to the pound because they didn't discipline the dog and the dog couldn't figure out how he was supposed to behave. This is also true with cats when people don't interact with them or give them a good environment and they become aggressive or destructive. I've also seen this with horses, where someone who has taken a few riding lessons (just lessons on riding, not grooming or tacking up, or caring for a horse) and they think they know EVERYTHING there is to know about horses, then buys one, gives the horse bad habits and then the horse gets put down or sold to slaughter when the horse hurts them because they screwed it up. I've also seen this with fish as well. People put tropical fish in with cold water gold fish and they wonder why they die. :roll:

Ok enough for one night. I need to sleep this off.

Although I'm sure that there is more than one person reading this that agrees with me. ;)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A lot of people posted videos of their well behaved Bengals on Youtube in response to BigCatRescues video fearmongering about Bengals.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts