Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the car this morning the DJ was doing news, etc., and told a story of a woman in Pennsylvania who wasn't very pleased with her internet/cable and phone service provider bill (Comcast) so she wrote them a check and on the $$ amount line she wrote "My Right Arm."

The employees at Comcast thought it was funny and started passing it around through e-mail at work. That e-mail eventually made it of out OUT of the office and into PCs everywhere.

However, when the employee at Comcast responsible for starting the email sent it out, he or she forgot to black out any and all personal information contained on the check so countless people around the country and, who knows, maybe even world, know this lady's name, address, phone number and bank information. 8O

She had no idea any of this had been going on until someone in Colorado called her to say she had received an email with her personal info!

I would be so perturbed, to say the least. I mean, yeah, maybe she shouldn't have written a check like that but I'll bet it's the not the first time that joke has been played. IMO, responsibility completely lies in the hands of the people at Comcast.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Comcast should be running to help her protect her info. I bet she'd have a great lawsuit if she becomes a victim of identity theft.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I honestly don't blame the woman for suing. I mean it's one thing if the worker who initially got the check called his little worker friends over to look at it and have a laugh, but to email it all over the company was very irresponsible.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Comcast employees probably had to sign some sort of papers saying they would keep personal information (such as what comes on a check) confidential. Therefore, they breeched that by sending out of the company and I don't blame the woman for suing one bit.

Now she doesn't have to give up her right arm to pay the bill! Her settlement should be plenty! :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I hope so too. That woman's identity could easily be stolen.

When Comcast charged me too much, I quit them. And I just switched from Dish to Direct TV for the same reason. I'm glad I did it over the phone. :?

I'd like to quit the electric and gas companies too. Anyone know who has the best price on windmills? :wink: Seriously, I wish I could afford solar power for everything. That's what I would choose.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Oh my gosh, that is terrible!
I work for Comcast myself, I'm an executive analyst, I can't believe it!! 8O 8O
Our customers is what keeps us in business, they are the ones who pretty much sign our paychecks, they should always come first!!
This makes me very sad. Did you say the worker was from Colorado??

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hypertweeky said:
No, the incident happened in Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh, I believe). Someone in Colorado received the e-mail that had made it out of the company and called the woman in Penn. to say "hey, did you know your personal information is floating around cyberspace?"

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
hypertweeky said:
No, the incident happened in Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh, I believe). Someone in Colorado received the e-mail that had made it out of the company and called the woman in Penn. to say "hey, did you know your personal information is floating around cyberspace?"
Thank you, yes someone sent me the article this morning, I couldn't believe it.
I guess think customer first isn't everyone's modo.
Thank you for the compliment John!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts