Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone mentioned feeding sardines and I had a question or two....

At the grocery store today SO and I were looking through the canned fish and there are SOO many different options for sardines (blech). I passed up the oil packed as well as the mustard and dill (I wouldn't want to clean THAT litter box).... so we got the salt free packed in water.

Mr. Mow scarfed down that little fish like he hadn't eaten in a year. He's the most laid back cat in the entire world but today was the first time i heard him growl. I thought he was eating too fast and went to pick the dish up..just to give him a second to let what he'd eaten settle and the beast growled at me!! I picked the dish up anyway (When he gets a job and pays the rent he can run things..until then he can suck it up) and didn't reprimand him or anything...

Anyway.... Should he get the packed in water? Oil didn't sound like a great idea...

Also, it was suggested ONE a week....what do people do with the other 4 in the can? It says they should be used within 3 days.. I hate to buy a whole can and throw 4/5s of it away.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Yes, water and salt free is the way to go with sardines...they don't need the oil. I eat the rest of the can I open for the girls, so I don't know what to tell ya there (what can I say, we all love sardines!). :p

Glad to hear Mow liked his fishy!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I picked the dish up anyway. When he gets a job and pays the rent he can run things..until then he can suck it up.
LOL!! Poor MowMow...he was enjoying it and you took it away from him...meanie! :)

I can't answer your question, although I believe it was Auntie Crazy who recommended the sardines. Perhaps she'll be along shortly...

·
Registered
273 Posts
i gave my feral colony sardines once (i figured it was a nice treat) but they seemed just as interested in the canned cat food.

on thanksgiving i bought them some bell & evans turkey (figured they should have a holiday treat :)) now that on the other hand they seemed to thoroughly enjoy.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I've never fed sardines, but my guess is that you could freeze the extras in separate little baggies and thaw one a week for your boy.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I agree, it would probably work to freeze them individually.

I don't have the problem of extra's either - when I feed them, I need 4-5 containers to split between everyone (that is with each cat getting one sardine).

Yes, get the sardines packed in water that say they don't have any added salt.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Packed in unsalted water is the one to go with. Freezing the others, individually is an excellent suggestion. I like sardines myself, so just mash them up with some Miracle Whip or mayonnaise and use as a sandwich spread, with lots of lettuce....yum! Good brain food!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts