Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. she is a great doggy.. absoluty wonderful, however she is having tons of accidents. I take her out about once an hour or so.. and she goes everytime. And can't seem to make it though the night without pooping or peeing.

She also threw up 2 time this monring.

What is going on?

also, we have some questions about her "heat cycle" and where she may be in it..

anyone know of a good dog forum? or a good info site?

Any help would be great!

thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The throwing up could be a sign of nervousness or food, did she drink a lot of water and then throw up?

The not making it through the night, is she eating or drinking before you all go to bed? If she isnt it just might be that she has to go out during the night also..I am guessing she was in a shelter? And if she was she is use to going whenever she wants..I would say take her out before you go to bed...My g-parents have 2 Jack RUssells and they still dont make it through the night..my g-mom lets them out around 12 midnight..and then they are sometimes good for the night, but they have had accidents...

The other thing you could do is crate her at night until she gets used to being with you...

I hope all works out...She is really cute :D

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she wasn't from a shelter.. she is a breeders dog who was going to be brought to shelter is not adopted. She doesn't eat right before bed, and not alot of water either.

I took her out last night at 1:30 am.. then i got up at 8:30 this morning to taker her out again, and she has already pooped.

We have been crating her when we go out, and i think she even peed in the crate yesterday. i couln't really tell cause also spilled the water so it the blanket was all wet and i didn't smell pee.. but she smelled like pee last night..

I just don't know what to do. I have to call the vet monday anyway. to try and get her spayed. but i am just worried about her...

the throw up was yellowish. and no food.. just liquid.. poor little baby! she did not drink alot of water right before either..

·
Registered
224 Posts
The yellowish vomit sounds like bile from her stomach...Did you get any info from the breeder, on why she was taking her to the shelter...Or any info at all on the dog? I know that sometimes they dont get all that information either, because the previous owner doesnt want to give it up...

I think calling the vet is a good idea...Although it could just be nerves, but it is better to be safe then sorry...I wish you good luck, because she looks like a really sweet dog, and she is sooooo darned cute!

Is the crate small? Just enough room for her to turn around and lay down? I know it sounds cruel but it isnt, we did that when we crate trained our akita, he had enough room, but dogs will not "go" where they sleep or lay...As long as its small enough....

Again I hope its nothing serious...Let us know when ya get back from the vet...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Something that worked well for my aunt who used to breed JRTs is puppy pads. Right by the back door. If you know of a heathcare place that sells the hospital version of these that would be better. Training your baby to go there when she can't get out is a much better solution than finding it elsewhere.

These are the ones she used:
Training pads

·
Banned
316 Posts
My dogs would vomit bile frequently. We have them on a super premium food but it didn't seem to matter.

They woudl always vomit in the morning. It's kind of like acid reflux. They are hungry and making themselves sick, basically.

We started adding yogurt to their food (just plain) and feeding them closer to 12 hours apart with some snacks inbetween. Snacks are anything to dog treats, veggies, or fruits. Healthy things.

The potty issues could be a bladder infection or just a small dog thing! Remember, small dog, small bladder. Our Chinese Cresteds can't 'hold it' like our German Shepherds can. No where close. So during the day or when we are not home, I have a potty pad (like you would use for training a puppy) down for them. It works great and I don't have to clean anything up, just the pad and throw it away! I'd also take the water out of the crate.

I'll PM you with a dog forum because I do'nt know if there are any rules about putting other sites up here....even though it's dogs and has nothing to do with cats.....but who knows!

·
Banned
316 Posts
Hee hee....Lenore and I posted at the same time! So there's a link for pads!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had issues with a dog and potty training. I went to a dog forum, I'll find it again if I can for you. It was very helpful. This is what they told me when I was having similar problems...
The crate should be pretty small. Just big enough to stand up in and turn around. It will make her more comfortable anyway. Do not put any water down a few hours before bedtime, not in the kennel at all. Use a leash durring the day when she is with you, that way she can't sneak off and go potty. Tie the leash to your person and make her go where you go. If she starts to squat, which every time she will you'll know since she is with you within a few feet at all times, pick her up and take her outside. Give her a treat and a lot of praise every time she goes potty outside, even if it started inside. This will help a lot. Use an enzyme cleaner like 50/50 vinegar on all her pee spots so that she can't smell even teeny amounts of her own pee in the house. Once she gets good at that, start to give her more leway. Put her in a bedroom and once she doesn't potty in there, let her in the living area, giving more and more freedoms and she proves herself. I bought a bell, in the fishing department, that's big and loud to hang on the door we use to go outside. Jingle it before you take the dog out and eventually, she may jingle it so that you know she needs to go out. Some dogs have a subtle way of letting you know they need to go out, that may help. We had to do all this for our dog, we actually do think he is mentally retarded. He even failed a guaranteed training class and this did help.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sorry you are having troubles!!!!

I am NOT good at training dogs, so I am not going to volunteer advice. :lol: That's why we always try to get ready-trained ones. :lol: Anyway, it sounds like you have gotten a lot of great advice already, I do think it is a good idea to talk to the breeder you got her from, and ask her if she ever had similar problems, where she was kept in THEIR house (caged or free), and if she was housebroken there or not. :)

Good luck!! :D

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
see the problem is.. i can't talk to the breeder.. there is like 3houses she was in before mine.. after the breeder.. all these people were keeping her temp. until they could find her a real home.. so the poor puppy has been moved all over the place! i talked to the last house.. and i am doing exactly what they did.. so who knows!!!

oh well.. oh i got her b-day May30 2003.. so she is younger than we thought! she is only 2.5 years old! poor puppy. already has had 2 litters!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Oh, I see. :) Poor girl, she is probably really confused. Hopefully once she settles in some it will get better. :)

And SHEESH! 2 litters at Two and a Half?! What kind of breeder was this?????? 8O Poor baby. She is lucky to have found you. :)

I'm curious- since she is so young, why did the breeder retire her? Seems like this particular breeder could have gotten at least 50 more litters out of her. :roll:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the breeder just uped and closed.. sending all dogs out into any home/shelter that would take them. dont' get me started on the breeder.. it's not a good subject around here...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I also use potty pads for my dogs. Bear was potty trained using them and I still leave 1 out all the time for emergencies. It gets used maybe once a year. It really saves the carpet if she can't wait for some reason.
I think a vet visit is the best answer. She could have a bladder infection. She is very probably just a little freaked out and not sure how long this home is going to last after having so many foster homes. It is also possible that she might have weakened the muscles that control the bladder from having puppies too young. I have a friend with a dog with that problem. It's easily treatable with a pill everyday.
For a dog forum, the sister site to this one (there is a link at the way bottom of your screen) has knowledgable people on it. It's pretty slow, but when someone posts a question people usually answer pretty quickly.

Jennifer

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I think everyone had a lot of great suggestions. I would definitly have her checked by the vet.

If there is no "medical" reason for her potty issues I would definilt confine her in her crate at night until she is completely trained. Also....take the water out of the crate.

I've been gone for a while (due to the hurricane) so I'm sure I'm asking stuff that was probably already posted......
How long have you had her for?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Well my guess is she was probably never properly potty trained. Since I think you mentioned she has popped and had pee accidents. She was shuffled from place to place and from what you said the breeder didn't seem to be the best either.

She may have a bladder infection or some kind of other problem though. It is my understanding that the bile type throw up is usually from them holding it (urine) to long. Not sure if that is a fact, just what I have been told.

You are probably going to have to start completely over with potty training. As I mentioned the crate is one of the best tools for that. My last puppy potty trained like a dream...thank god! It is a lot of watching them like a hawk. Take her out frequently. Every time she wakes up from a nap, take her out. Every time she finishes eating, take her out. Take her out right before bed time and then crate her. You can also try and take her water away a while before bed (I have never done that). As I said also...no water in the crate.

Good luck. Let us know what the vet says.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts