Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat (Tonto) is eating my mother-in-laws plants and digging up the earth from the plant pots. I have tried yelling at him, moving him to another room and even spraying him with water. I really don't know what else to do. Anyone have any ideas?
/Users/oliver_h2o/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2005/Tonto/IMG_0397.JPG

·
Registered
377 Posts
I can´t see the pic. :(
I put aluminum foil and/or small decorative stones on the sand or I wrap the whole plant in transparent foil - like a present. Horst never digged again.

What plants does he eat? Are some of them toxic?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not really sure how to upload a photo. If you cut and past the link into your web bar then you should be able to see it.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Put some sort of barrier between the cat and the dirt. I've used large stones and cut/shaped "hardware cloth".
Same for the cat and the plant ... but of course you can't cover a plant, unless you spray it with a *nasty-tasting* spray to deter the cat. There are products called Bitter Apple or Stop Chew and other similar things that can be bought in the pet aisles. One taste and the kitty should avoid the plant completely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the advice. We've put some foil around the plants and that has seemed to work. We're in Spain at the moment and they don't seem to have any bad taste spray for animals, well they do but they look so mean and nasty I would not want to inflict that upon my baby.

Thanks again.

Oliver and Tonto

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
oliver_h2o said:
...bad taste spray ... they look so mean and nasty I would not want to inflict that upon my baby.
Of course they are nasty, that is what is needed to deter a pet from chewing on something it shouldn't. :lol: If the plant isn't poisonous, I'm sure it isn't a big deal if they gnaw on it, make the plant look terrible and/or kill the plant. But if it *is* a plant that could harm the kitty, I would either get rid of the plant or USE that nasty tasting spray to keep the kitty safe.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I used chicken wire, cut to fit over the dirt. I had to cut a slot that lead to a hole in the center so I could slip it around the trunk of the plant (a small decorative palm tree like plant in this case) it did it to stop my sister's cat from digging and peeing in there... it worked!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts