Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DVR is almost full - any opinions as to whether any of these are keepers (I should watch them) or not (delete the sucker!)? (no spoilers, please)

The Manchurian Candidate (with Denzel Washington)
The Departed
A History of Violence
Invincible
the Sentinel
My Super Ex-Girlfriend
Smokin' Aces
Capture of the Green River Killer (two-part Lifetime movie)

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Invincible was a great Disney-esque feel-good movie. When it ended, I really wasn't ready for it to be over. Plus, I really like Mark Wahlberg.

My Super Ex-GF, was okay. It had its funny moments, but isn't one I'd consider a 'keeper'. I have Invincible on DVD and have watched it several times.

I haven't seen any others on your list.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you need to delete something, I vote for My super Ex-Girlfriend. I can't even remember what happens, but I remember thinking I had wasted my money.

I have seen all the ones on your list except for invincible and smokin aces. However, I don't remember any of the others as being great. I'm not saying they are bad, they just don't stand out as being something special.

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured Super-Ex would be a "delete it!" :D

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
That looks a lot like the list we have had sitting on the DVR! Mostly movies we from HBO and ones we snabbed from the Starz free preview weekends. 8)

I was disappointed with Smokin' Aces. I love Jeremy Piven and it looked like my kind of movie. It could have been so much better.
I could have gone without seeing My Super Ex-girlfriend too. Good concept, but they couldn't do anything with it.

I really enjoyed Invincible. Feel-good movie, I love Mark Wahlberg and I am a total sucker for a football movie. :mrgreen:

Edit by Lori for clarity :roll:

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Hehehe, I would probably wipe them all out. If it were the original Manchurian Candidate I would keep it. But I am not a person that is exactly thrilled with the garbage Hollywood is churning out these days.

Marie, you just highlighted one of the reasons I did not, do not, and will not use the current crop of DVRs today. That is their fixed storage media. I will gladly take my Super VHS vcr over a DVR anyday! Now if they make DVRs with hot swap hard drives, then maybe I will give them a look. But somehow, I don't think that will be a reality given the fact that hot swap drives are still SCSI and thus quite expensive.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Ha Ha Marie, you sound like us! I have so many things on our DVR waiting to be copied..........things we want to keep.

The only one on the list that I've seen is Invincible, and I thought it was good........I vote keeper on that one! :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I liked the Manchurian Candidate, but I haven't seen the original, so I can't say in comparison. The actor in that movie - I can't remember his name - but I thought he was good.

I saw A History of Violence also. I don't remember it being bad, but not as good as I was expecting. The plot line was interesting, but some of the scenes were too disturbing for me to watch again.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'd delete Super Ex-GF. It really wasn't that good, which made me mega sad.

I really, really loved A History Of Violence. I went out and bought it... but have never managed to watch it again. It was disturbing, but the underlying message was so thought-provoking, it hit me hard. Great movie.

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can copy all of them to VCR's, I've just never hooked up that particular function. I don't know what happened, I was able to reconnect both tv's and DVRs with no problem, but I think I need a male/female connector for the back.

Lori, they are all from a free preview weekend (except the Green River killer one). :D

I'll watch Invicible today. I like Mark W, too.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
The Manchurian Candidate (with Denzel Washington) ERASE.. BUY the proper (ie old) version.

The Departed (ERASE and BUY the DVD - it's an awesome film).

My Super Ex-Girlfriend (ERASE and disinfect PVR machine, then have therapy for thinking it was even worth recording,)

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far, I've only watched Invincible. It was pretty good, I'm glad he stayed on the team for 3 years, I was thinking at the end they may scroll the words that he only stayed that season.

Hugh, as usual, you crack me up! :D

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I'm getting some ideas for Netflix here! By the way, anyone can get a free trial by entering Friend 23. They are hoping you'll get hooked, of course! :)

I watched all of the documentaries on the Green River Killer for years, so I'm sure I would save that one. He was a serial killer who evaded the police for so long I was afraid they'd never catch him.

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I erased it, Jeane. It was the second one I decided to watch. :( It was so creepy and sad and LOOONG. I skipped to the very end of the movie (part two, hour four), and he was telling about how he had his son with him sometimes, I deleted it right then and there.

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was a Lifetime movie and it starred the guy in the t.v. series "Ed" - I think that was the name of it. The quirky show about a guy (an attorney) who goes back home and buys a bowling alley. Anyway, yes, his little boy was in the car sometimes when he killed the girls by the river. :( He climbed back in the car and said they decide to talk home. He used his little boy as bait to get them in the first place.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts