Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned before I was starting to coupon. I've been able to do so with pet stuff too.

I used PetFlow.com as they accept coupons (you have to pay for it and then mail the coupons and they refund your credit/debit card for the amount) and had better prices than the other online retailers.

Here's what I got:
Wellness Indoor Health Dry (12lb) - $33.99
ZiwiPeak Venison Treats (3oz) - $6.99
World's Best Litter (7lb) - $9.99
Total: $50.97

I got it for $35.98.

I got shipping for free which was $4.95 as I spent more than $49.99. I had a $5 off any wellness product coupon and a mail in rebate for free litter (up to $12.99) so I saved almost $15 or $20 if you count shipping.

If you want the mail in rebate for the litter: World's Best Cat Litter™

I got my Wellness coupon by calling and asking for them. They sent 2. I've been told you can call every month and get them.

If anyone wants any help with couponing, let me know as I'd love you help you save a few bucks.
https://www.petflow.com/product/ziwipeak/ziwipeak-good-cat-venison-cat-treats

·
Registered
709 Posts
Wow, that's good going! You have better customer service over there, I wish we had an equilavent of Wellness over here.

I received terrible customer service from one UK pet website, which resulted in several angry emails... after the fifth one I receive a 5% discount code. But no answer to my questions or complaints!

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
If you're beginning to coupon, maybe you can answer a question from seeing those Extreme Couponing shows. How is it possible that someone is getting $600 worth of groceries for $6? You can't use more than one coupon on a single item, can you? So even if something is on sale and you use a coupon on it, it wouldn't bring the price down so far. Inquiring minds need to know. :)

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
There are three kinds of coupons, store coupons, Catalina coupons (spit out during checkout) and manufacturers coupons and many stores will let you use all three.

If you take an item that is on sale already and you have a store coupon and a manufacturer coupon then add in that some stores will DOUBLE manufacturers coupons up to a dollar often times you can get an item for free or even for less than free putting money towards your other items. Then stores often spit out catalina coupons (from the register)...now you're talking credit towards the next visit. If you research what items give which catalina coupons then you can split your checkout and use the catalinas towards the rest of your purchases.

I hope that makes sense...it's awfully early for me.... :p

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Okay, I get that, but why is it necessary to buy 100 of each thing when you do it? Is it just that they're trying to maximize how many great deals they're getting? All of these extreme couponers have stock pile rooms with enough stuff to last 10 years.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Buy when it's on sale to use when it's not, but IMO for a lot of those extreme shoppers it seems to be a bit of a compulsion.

If I do something like that, I usually donate the excess free stuff to the food bank/homeless shelter since I just don't have space to store it. I do the same thing with crappy cat food/dog food coupons. If it's a great deal and doesn't cost me a ton I'll go ahead and get it and donate it to the food bank for people's pooches, lots of grocery stores here have a big box by the check out counters for pet food for poor families.

That coupon for free kitty litter mentioned above, awesome! I just mailed my rebate slips yesterday so I should get my 12.99 in a few months. Also, don't forget to email the companies with praise for their food. It got me some great coupons for free World's Best litter and By Nature cat food.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
My cousin does extreme couponing, but seriously, it takes up so much of her life!! I'd rather pay more than spend hours every week on saving money.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That show isn't realistic.

The stores relax the rules because the cameras are rolling. As MowMow stated, there are 3 types of coupons that you can use together. Some stores will also double or even triple the value of coupons.

It's insane how much crap they buy and it's so obvious it will ruin before it's used. Most couponers aren't like that. There really isn't a need to buy 100 boxes of cereal. I bought 10 a few days ago and they'll last about 6 months. They go on sale and have a coupon every 3-4 months anyways. We just want to save a few bucks in this horrid economy.

I've been spending about 30 minutes a day browsing coupon sites, clipping coupons, and looking at ads. It's kind of fun so I don't mind it. I'm watching TV while I do it anyways. For the amount of money I've saved so far it's well worth it and I'm able to help local animal shelters and food banks because I can afford to buy extra to donate.

Some things I do buy quite a bit of. I got 50 boxes of pasta last week because I could get it for 50¢ a box when it's usually $1.75 to $2. I'm a vegetarian and pasta is large part of my diet. I'll have all that ate before it's on sale again. I made sure I left some on the shelves too!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I love coupons. We don't have a ton of space so I don't buy much in bulk, but there are a few things I stock up on a lot of when they go on sale (never in the 100s though! I'd have nowhere to store it all!).

I always buy tissues in bulk, for example, since I use them constantly (allergies).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts