Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the cat shelter today where I work and somehow came home with a cat. You know how that happens :wink:

I was pretty much his last chance before him getting put down. They asked me if I could take him and I said yes.

He is fifteen (though perfect bloodwork yet), a bengal, and should have come with a mute button. Also, he is declawed :( He was dumped for a "newer model" because he was old and they wanted a kitten. Since no one wants and older cat, even if they are perfectly healthy, they wanted to have him just put down. But they asked me first and he worked his charm on me :luv

But who could resist him?

"I may be old, but I'z still just as cool"

"But...you promised me. I waz yours for fifteen years, I thought you loved me?"

and a (poor quality) video:

I think it just sends you to the video on photobucket. Oh, and yes, some of the "cat sounds" towards the middle and end are me :oops:

·
Super Moderator
26,538 Posts
Hello, Rajah!

What a beautiful cat!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Congrats on the new adoption :)

I don't understand how someone can have a cat as part of the family for so long and just decide they want a kitten instead, poor kitty! Atleast he'll be loved the rest of his life now though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
love.my.cats said:
Congrats on the new adoption :)

I don't understand how someone can have a cat as part of the family for so long and just decide they want a kitten instead, poor kitty! At least he'll be loved the rest of his life now though.
Thanks!

Yes, it really makes you wonder about people sometimes... Its not like he did anything to deserve this!

marie73 said:
Hello, Rajah!

What a beautiful cat!
Thanks :) Hopefully I can get him to gain weight and get his fur shiny again. He will not eat dry food (smart cat) but they wouldn't give him much wet...at least not enough to keep up his weight. Though the shelter gave me some cans of EVO 95% to start him off on.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
What a lucky kitty!
He's gorgeous!
As for his previous family, all I can do is shake my head. I will never,ever fathom some people's attitudes towards their pets. Just don't get it. Thank God, Rajah had you and the outcome is a happy one.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Thank you for welcoming this wonderful man into your heart.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nanook said:
What a lucky kitty!
He's gorgeous!
As for his previous family, all I can do is shake my head. I will never,ever fathom some people's attitudes towards their pets. Just don't get it. Thank God, Rajah had you and the outcome is a happy one.
I think he had a worse time with his "family" than I had thought. He had pooped outside the litterbox sometime during the night which to me isn't a big deal. But it seems like they used to hurt him when he did that. When he noticed I was cleaning it up he started cowering in the back of his cage :(

Heidi n Q said:
Hello beautiful Rajah! I think he's hit the jackpot with you. :wink: You'll have him healthy and shining in no time!
I sure hope so! His fur is so rough looking. Hopefully some all-you-can-eat food will help with that.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
furryfriends251 said:
I think he had a worse time with his "family" than I had thought. He had pooped outside the litterbox sometime during the night which to me isn't a big deal. But it seems like they used to hurt him when he did that. When he noticed I was cleaning it up he started cowering in the back of his cage :(
Oh! Poor kitty! :patback

·
Registered
202 Posts
Rajah is beautiful! Can I ask why she is kept in a cage? Just curious, that's all.

I know you will provide a better life for Rajah. So sad to hear that after 15 years, people can just "let go" of their animals because they aren't 'cute enough' or 'kitten-like.' :dis

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lv2ski said:
Rajah is beautiful! Can I ask why she is kept in a cage? Just curious, that's all.

I know you will provide a better life for Rajah. So sad to hear that after 15 years, people can just "let go" of their animals because they aren't 'cute enough' or 'kitten-like.' :dis
Rajah is in a cage just because I need others to get used to him/him get used to them. Also to make sure he gets all the wet food he wants...because the others would just steal it from him. There are not any real rooms @ the farm. The calf barn has a strawmow and a haymow and that is it. I'd put him in the milkhouse but that is the only spot Nightmare will eat and I go in there a lot to get water for the cats.

I'd love to have him in our house but Milo and Mikey would start plotting my death. The farm cats are so used to other cats coming and don't care. Most of them are also really good at making friends (Amiga is probably TOO good)! He also seems very laid back as far as other cats go. Plus in a barn it doesn't at all matter if he "misses" the litterbox :lol:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cat24 said:
are there more pictures of pretty Rajah?? *innocent look*
Not yet, but I don't have school next week so am going to try get more pictures of him (and all the farm cats) then. Of course, being the week before spring break, there are lots of tests/quizzes/homework :(

·
Registered
202 Posts
furryfriends251 said:
Not yet, but I don't have school next week so am going to try get more pictures of him (and all the farm cats) then. Of course, being the week before spring break, there are lots of tests/quizzes/homework :(
Been there, done that. All the best with all the work/craziness -- it does become annoying, but just imagine your time off during Spring Break. :wink

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh my, this cat is crazy.

I took him out on a harness/leash for a walk outside. He walks on a leash like a dog. Then he saw a giant puddle (which, yes, actually was clean water) and ran in and started splashing. I'm sure if it were deep enough he would have gone for a swim, and of course, if I were to let him :lol:

I have never seen a cat so undaunted by a new place...

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
:luv He sounds like an amazing cat! :D I wish I were closer, I'd probably take him!
Hmmmm...want me to ask my Mom? She lives in central California and would love to have a Bengal. She also has a female cat who was front declawed and she has wanted to get her a companion. (home is over 5,000sqft)
If he isn't up for 'adoption', just let me know, it was an idea that just popped into my head this moment.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heidi n Q said:
:luv He sounds like an amazing cat! :D I wish I were closer, I'd probably take him!
Hmmmm...want me to ask my Mom? She lives in central California and would love to have a Bengal. She also has a female cat who was front declawed and she has wanted to get her a companion. (home is over 5,000sqft)
If he isn't up for 'adoption', just let me know, it was an idea that just popped into my head this moment.
Any of mine are up for adoption to the right person - especially cats like him who seems to thrive on attention. I just can't give them all that the attention lovers deserve and don't know what will happen in the future with them. I'll most likely be going to a tech school that is in close to where I live but after that...

But I am in the NW corner of Washington State which is a ways away and wouldn't be able to transport him.

But just a warning, if she is in an apartment or lives really close to others. He meows very loud and very frequently if no one is paying attention to him.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
No apartment. Very rural. 15mi out of town, though the area has sort of become suburbanized over the past 15yrs or so. 5,000 sqft home, 2-story w/ lower split-level on 2 acres, though he and her current cat would remain indoor-only kitties.

Let me call her tonight and see if she would be interested. Then let me see what shipping costs would be and how it could be done. I've never shipped an animal before, so I don't know how that is done. I think the animal would go via air-freight...? How close are you to Sea-Tac?

My Mom may also know how to ship a live animal. She and our stepdad owned/operated a household goods moving/storage business for many years and she may have arranged for some clients' pets to be shipped. I suppose, there may also be a possibility of hiring a horse-hauler to add him on a run?
Anyhow, let me call my Mom tonight and see if she would be interested.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Just got back from running errands and Mom sent me an email.
We have family friends (cat-lovers) who work/live in Seattle. Husband works for an airline and could possibly p/up and 'hold' Rajah at his Seattle work-apartment and then fly him to his home with my Aunt in Canada where he would stay until my Mother flies up to visit in May and then he could come home to California with Mom. (Aunt T's husband possibly pulling a few airline strings along the way...)

We'd have to see if Auntie T will go for it, but how does that sound on your end?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts