Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can feel a scab on my cat's neck, a little below her mouth. It's maybe about 1/2" in diameter, light brown in color, and feels pretty hard, just like a scab. I'm hoping it's just a mat, but I didn't want to pick at it too hard.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Has she been treated for fleas lately?

2 of my cats always develop scabs under the chin from scratching when they have fleas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, she hasn't been treated for fleas...is that something she should get checked for anyway?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'd have a vet check it to be sure. Never buy over the counter flea medicines, as they don't work all that well and many cats often have bad reactions to them.

If fleas is the problem, your best bet is to see the vet so they can prescribe a good medication that works. The prescription flea medicines are cheap, I believe I paid $8 for mine.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
It may be feline acne also which one of my cats had. You will need to take your cat into the vet to make sure but if it is acne, use ceramic or glass dishes and the vet will give you some medication to use on the scar. Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Is she doing a lot of scratching like she has fleas, but there's no sign of fleas? It may be a sign she has an allergy... :-( What food does she eat?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I make an appointment for the vet this morning, but I came home from work and the scab was gone!

My girlfriend thought it could've been caused by the collar, so we took it off last night. Could this have been the problem? The collar wasn't directly touching her scab but maybe when she turned her neck the hard part of the collar would scrape under her chin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts