Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry for posting this here but I try to post in the correct areas and it says I do not have permission. This is a matter of extreme urgency as I may have to give away my cat today. So please let this post through because I really need help here.

I think this goes beyond play fighting and I really need some help as I may have to give a on of these cats away. 7 days ago I purchased a new kitten, he is roughly 8 weeks old. Around Christmas time I purchased my first kitten who is now 6 months old.

They seem to play rough but no puffy tails or hissing. Just now things got weird though. My older kitten keeps walking up behind the 8 week old baby and trying to wrap his entire mouth around the kittens neck (from the back of the neck). It looks like a lion trying to kill a gazelle with a choke hold. He never quite goes through with it as the young one turns on his back and flails his claws which causes the old kitten to move away.

Is this normal and safe cat behavior or is the old cat planning on murder? It looks very, very worrying but with no hissing I cannot be sure.

I really need some advice, I cannot leave the house right now out of fear that I will come back to a dead kitten. Is it playful/normal for a big cat to try and wrap his jaws around a smaller cats neck?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
It's probably a sign of dominance. If he doesn't actually hurt him, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Did you do a proper introduction? How are they otherwise? Do they groom each other, play and eat together?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Is the 6 month old fixed? If not, it could be that his hormones are starting to kick in and since the other cat is the only one around, he's practicing on him.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Yea it sort of sounds like a a behavior my sister's male cat displays. He attempts to grab onto loose skin on the back of another cat's neck and get his hump on. Usually the other cats responds just like your wee kitten does. And then its game over.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
If the older cat were intent on murder, there would be hissing, growling or some other noise. I wouldn't worry about it. That sounds like how a mother cat would try to pick up her kittens, so perhaps there's a bit of parental instinct going on here. If you're really scared, then separate them when you're not home to supervise (more for your own peace of mind than anything else). I don't see any need to rehome the kitten.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
As has been mentioned, if the volume level is low they are probably just playing. My guys spend a lot of time "trying to kill" each other and an equal amount of time sleeping on top of each other :)

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

1 - 7 of 7 Posts