Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a week ago I noticed that Mow was a bit quieter than usual. When the kitten would get in his face he wasn't so quick to knock him down and he wasn't his usual exuberant self. I blamed it on all the stress and was careful to spend extra time cuddling him.

While I was at work on Thursday, Mom said he chased the kitten around for a little while so I wrote off anything physical. He was eating, although without his usual gusto. It seemed like if either of us interrupted him, he would walk away really easily and I'd have to move the bowl TO him. He is peeing and pooing. He peed twice today and pooed last night.

This morning I had to leave @ 3:30 AM to get mom to the airport shuttle and when I came home, Mow was hiding behind my desk and didn't come out until I called him. He jumped up on the desk on his own and snuzzled. I carried him back to bed with me and he kneaded and purred (and drooled) all over his bed. He ate breakfast when we got up and came BACK to bed right after. I was watching TV and he snuggled down really close to me.

..now is where I'm scared as well as worried. He's been on the bed *ALL* day. I called him for lunch and he didn't come. I carried him into the kitchen and instead of eating he jumped down and hunkered up on the floor. I moved his bowl to him and he didn't eat. I moved it right under his face and he ate about half (so, about 4.5 ounces total between lunch and breakfast) so far today. I was more interested in him getting the soupy water out of it to prevent urine issues on TOP of everything else. When he was done he came back to the bed and snuggled down against me while I watched TV. I moved him to change the sheets and instead of grouching a stalking off as usual he just stayed where I put him (same when I put him BACK on the freshly made bed.

I'm at a loss, he doesn't seem exactly SICK but he's not...right. Mom and SO say to chalk it up to stress if me being in hospital for a week and then home and ill...plus mom being here.....but I don't know. My vet is closed on the weekend and my illness has me FLAT broke so emergency would be rough..and I don't know if his behavior justifies the cost. I'm also scared of waiting until Monday though....

Any ideas? Think he can wait? The only two things I can think of a tooth issues. He freaked when I tried to check his gums. Wouldn't let me in his mouth at all, that is unusual. Usually he lts me do whatever. Also, my mom bought two automatic glade sprayers and they go off every 30 minutes in my small closed apartment. I turned them off and opened the windows to air the place out just in case.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
He ate a decent amount of food, so I would wait. My girls have days where they act totally NOT like themselves. It's always a bit alarming, but I try to remain calm to see if it lasts longer than two days. Nothing has ever lasted (so far) into a third day.

He's been through a lot lately with you and your family, and he could probably sense the sadness of the day with your Mom leaving. That might be why he's sticking close to his Mom.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I agree, this is more of a wait and see thing. He ate a reasonable amount of food even if you did have to coax him a bit. You didn't mention litter box use and does he seem like he's walking/jumping fine? If all is well with those two things I'd chalk it up to us all needing a lazy day in bed once in a while. Continue to monitor him and see what tomorrow brings.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't have a thermometer. I could get one tomorrow and try but I don't have much strength/control of my right side yet. I don't know if I could hold him still.
His respiration was 40 waking and 36 when he fell asleep.

He pooed last night and peed twice today (so far). He's jumping when he wants too. If it was just today I wouldn't be too worried but he's been getting quieter and quieter the last few days. I'm HOPING he's just reveling in the quiet of our apartment with NO company. :p

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree AC, I found it cloying and obnoxious.. I can only imagine how awful it is to is sensitive nose and whatever poisons it spits out.

I appreciate everyone's patience and support. It's been an awful month and something happening to MowMow would make it really really awful.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Did he get quiet and off his food before or after the Glade sprayers were installed? If he was fine before, then you may have your answer. Definitely remove them.....a lot of this type of stuff is very harmful to cats and people. If he's resisting you opening his mouth it could well be a problem there. Any success in opening it and having a look? Anything he might have eaten that he shouldn't have, nibbled on some kind of plant? Hope you find some answers soon. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my mom bought them while I was in hospital. The litterboxes has been dirty for the day and a half before she got here and she didn't know how to clean them... so they stunk. We were in Kmart on Friday and we picked up a new scent and put them in when we got home. It was a potent smell.

He won't let me near his mouth. I tried to peak when he was yawning but no luck. No awful odor though. I don't have plants because of Book and the only different thing he ate was that raw quail on Wednesday/Thursday. He started seeming off around Wednesday, getting a little worse each day.

He got up on his own tonight for dinner but didn't jump up onto the counter. He wanted it on the floor and ate about 3/4 of it. He peed and jumped back onto the bed and is back asleep now.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
*hugs*

I hope my angel is alright. I'd take him in straightaway on Monday. If he gets any worse I'd go the emergency route but I'm a worry wart.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I always give my cats 24 to 48 hours to straighten out if they have mild symptoms like this. Rest can do a lot to help them bounce back. Giving Mow a quiet place to recover is the best thing you can do for him right now. There's only one time I can remember that a vet visit came about - and that's because my cat had an abcess I hadn't noticed.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yar, I'll see how he progresses.

He woke ME up this morning demanding breakfast and ate it like he hadn't eaten in a week. Used the litterbox twice, one of each, and seems VERY alert today. He's even grooming today and sassing when i tickle him.

May take him in for a regular check up tomorrow but he seems ok.

Thanks for helping me through my panic attack. It always worries me when I think he's in discomfort, plus him getting sick right now would be emotionally and financially catastrophic.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I understand your concern, seems like when it rains it pours and after your illness the last thing you want is something to happen to your beloved MowMow.
In times of trouble our small ones become even more precious to use.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yar, I'll see how he progresses.

He woke ME up this morning demanding breakfast and ate it like he hadn't eaten in a week. Used the litterbox twice, one of each, and seems VERY alert today. He's even grooming today and sassing when i tickle him.

May take him in for a regular check up tomorrow but he seems ok.

Thanks for helping me through my panic attack. It always worries me when I think he's in discomfort, plus him getting sick right now would be emotionally and financially catastrophic.
So glad MowMow is feeling like himself! Sometimes our kitties just have an off day. We all do. :cat

Completely understand the whole panic attack thing too. I have been sooooo anxious over my Blues since she was Dx-ed with a UTI. Im not an anxious person by nature, but Im still rattled. Watching her like a hawk. She acting completely fine now that she is on anti-bios. But Im soo tense with fear and concern.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Glad to hear MowMow's better and acting more like himself. Our fur kids do give us the fits some times. I wonder if he pulled a tendon or muscle from an awkward jump or whatever? Sometimes when that happens, a cat will hide, hunker down, just want to rest and may be off his food. It's a possibility. I think I'd still check his mouth and if he still won't cooperate have the vet have a look, just to be sure. Now that the panic attack's over, I hope you'll be able to concentrate on your own recovery. All the best!

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
So glad to hear he's feeling and acting better.

We all panic sometimes. I just saw Cleo sleeping somewhere off by herself where she almost never goes, and my first thought was, "Oh, no, what's wrong?" Then I took a deep breath and realized the twins were probably getting on her nerves and she picked a nice, high place. Whew!

I probably wouldn't stress MowMow out with a vet visit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yay! Sounds like MowMow is feeling much better - sassy even. I love sassy cats. I just wanted to say that those automatic air freshener things used to kill me at work. So nasty.
I bet he has been worried about you too. Anyways so glad to hear some good news :smile:.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts