Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have many animals and have gotten alot of good advice for my dogs at a similar forum.

One of my cats, Beebs (don't ask that's just her name), is about 2. She like all my other animals was rescued. She's always been more shy than friendly. She's never been aggressive. She is particularly warry of me because when she first came to me she had ear mites and I had to clean them which she hated. However, she loves my husband.

We've had her since November (about 7 months). At first she spent all her time under the couch or behind the toilet. We were patient and slowly but surely she came out into the house more and more. While she was still nervous and prone to darting under the couch if I got too close, she was getting better and allowing me to pet her. Again, she loves my husband and lets him pet and hold her.

So that's the background. Last week my husband went away for 10 days. She started not coming for dinner, spending hours under the couch, running as soon as she saw me, and also not eating. A couple times I felt so bad that I brought her her food, which I know I shouldn't do b/c she'll never come into the kitchen anymore.

Well my husband came home yesterday, but she still wouldn't come out from under the couch for dinner. We put both dogs outside and put the other cat in a seperate room. That didn't make a difference so it's not them. It's like she becme depressed when he went away.

How do we snap her out of it? How do we help her be comfortable in our house again? She was doing so well. I'm so sad for her. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
Caralyn

·
Registered
366 Posts
It sounds like she is your husband's baby, and when he disappeared, she probably missed him terribly, and with only you there (the mean one who attacked her ears everyday) she probably did get a little worried.

I'd suggest that your husband spend some one-on-one time with her near the couch. Maybe she's particularly fond of a certain toy or treat - use those too. Cats have been known to pout, and she might be feeling a little nervous since her "rock" disappeared - and it'll take her a few more days to realize that all is well, but I think you'll soon find her back to her normal, nervous self.

And, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Having just moved recently, I've learned that cats are all different in the time that it takes them to adjust to a new situation. I had one cat that was fine after a day, and another that it took six months to fully adjust. Sometimes it just takes a lot of patience. Hopefully, that’s all it is in your situation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
dunno if this helps. my cat is kinda the same way as yours. when she doesn't feel like to be bothered, she'll be hiding under the bed.

when i do want to have some lap kitty time, i have to play some cat meowing sounds and she'll come out eventually.

try to find some meowing sounds off the net and loop it. mine comes out purring :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts