Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the holidays we had a family friend come in to feed our 2 year old female mixed breed while we were out of town. Unfortunately, the "friend" tripped the burglar alarm upon entering the house which set off a loud siren within. She said that the cat ran around and then curled up on the sofa. I am sure that it scared a couple of lives out of our poor kitty!!

Prior to this, our cat was not affected much by noises around the house and pretty much ignored anything except the loudest sounds. Now, she seems more skittish and jumps at noises that never bothered her before.

We hate to think that our sweet kitty's disposition was permanently affected by this one incident. Has anyone had a similar experience and can we expect that she will gradually get over this, or not?

·
Registered
917 Posts
hmmm. cujo has freaked at a couple fire alarms, but he always goes back to normal after a few minutes. maybe your cats ears were damaged? how loud is the alarm?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies.

I have not personally heard this alarm go off, but my wife has and assures me it is pretty loud. I'm not sure that it is loud enough to damage the cat's hearing but I am not a vet obviously. Her hearing appears to be ok from what I can tell--- she can still hear faint sounds (like her food can being opened :lol: ) from the other end of the house.

I guess I'll just hope time will correct this and talk to the vet on the next visit. Not sure that I want to go the cat psychologist route just yet. :shock:

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
awww poor kitty! :(
What you have to remember with cat is their hearing is 20 times more sensative than humans. SO something that sounds very loud to us is worse for them.

Hopefully as said above she will soon forget about what happened, and learn not to be so jumpy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts