Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has a cat, shes a 7 year old mix has some siamese in there I think.

Anyway, this cat has spent her entire life alone. All she has had is my husband. Well it took her a long time to get used to me, and I would like her to get used to my cat as well. We've had her for almost a year.

I would love to let the cat of the bedroom and not always have to keep the bedroom door closed. *my hubby is sooo protective of his kitty*

My cat loves to go in the bedroom and I can't let her becuase his cat is in there. So how can i get this old cranky kitty to get used to or even better - like my kitty.

Davids cat is a little on the heavy side and cries horribly when you take her out of the bedroom.

[edit]This is her

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
That will take time and patience. One suggestion that usually helps is to make sure the scent of both cats is the same. Exchange their bedding and put a drop of vanilla on the back of each cat's neck. Be very patient. When a cat hasn't been socialized he tends to be a one person cat. And a new pet is a threat. Make sure every interaction--under the door or in a carrier is pleasant--with treats and lots of petting. Good luck. I could take a week or months.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Jeanie's right, it will take a lot of time and patience for these kitties to accept each other. Considering it took a long time for your husband's cat to accept you, I imagine it will be the same way with your cat. You and your husband sound like wonderful, caring cat owners. You gotta love a guy who likes cats! :)
Both cats are very pretty, by the way!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I mentioned to my husband about the vanilla, and hes not so sure... he wants to make sure is "baby" isn't going to be tramatized. My cat is already pretty ok with her. I think I've had my cat for a year and they've met every now and then, sometimes at night I leave the door open usually by accident and in the morning I will find Precious *davids cat* hiding under the bed or on top of her little condo staring at my cat who is perched only a few feet away. Yet they still dont get close to each other, and when my cat tries, she gets hissed at and occaisionally a slap or two.

It took the cat about a year to be ok with me. In fact every time I came in the room she used to hide and hiss at me. Now she'll come up to me and give me loves. I hope she adjusts. My cat is so wanting to be her friend..

Thanks for the tips you guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts