Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son has had Fezzick home a week now and it has been going well. He is bonding to him but still skittish with others who come to visit. He hasn't been near the door to outside at all but when my son came home saturday night he dashed out. He tried to chase him but gave up and opened the door several times before he went to bed but he was nowhere to be seen. At 7 am the next morning he went to the door and called him and he bolted in the house soaking wet as there had been a rain storm that night. He gorged himself on breakfast and passed out for the rest of the day.

I know it is recommended that you keep cats indoors for at least a month after they are adopted so I am happy he knew where to come back to as I guess he knows where the food and love is:razz: The plan is to keep him an indoor cat but this may be a challenge. Anyone have any suggestions to help with this transition?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
What's his background / history?

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't know other than he came in to the local animal rescue as a stray and was then placed in a foster home for a short time. He is loving but skittish with new people but overall has settled in quite well.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Indeed, that's former stray behavior. He's trying to go back to his territory. You have to be very careful that he doesn't go out for at least a month so he starts identifying your home as his territory.

I have 3 former strays, 2 still go out (one of them will drive me crazy if I don't take him out every day) and the third is too afraid to go anywhere, so she doesn't go out at all.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Indeed, that's former stray behavior. He's trying to go back to his territory. You have to be very careful that he doesn't go out for at least a month so he starts identifying your home as his territory.

I have 3 former strays, 2 still go out (one of them will drive me crazy if I don't take him out every day) and the third is too afraid to go anywhere, so she doesn't go out at all.
Yes my son is now being extra careful. He hasn't tried to escape since so maybe it wasn't so much fun for him out there in all the rain:)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
You can make him an indoor cat just by not letting him out anymore. It's that simple. Cat tree, Da Bird and a window help a lot, of course. I let Prince out because he gets depressed and lethargic if I don't. It's his fun in life. I know the risks, but his life would be a lot of suffering if he didn't go out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.