Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had thought this cat was a neighbors, as I recognized his nightly meow, but considering its condition, making him an outdoor cat would be inhumaine. Basically hes an orange cat with a tabby tail and white stomach. He basically resembles Thomas O'Mailey on Aristocats. His leg is broken and bends sideways as he walks on it. His other feet appear rather long and big than they should be. As if his fingers were what was causing the extra length. They also appearthat they may also be broken. His eyes are 1/3rd close because he uses his 2nd inner eyelids. And his pupils are barely noticeable. It was a bright sunny day, but we were in a shady garage.

He approched us in the garage meowing, and everywhere we walked he followed meowing. Later we went back inside afraid, and he started to follow before we shut the door.

This cat really frightened us. I wondered if he was rabid. He didnt bite us, or ran after us. I was thinking about calling animal services, but was worried about what they might do. I love cats very much, and when one approaches me, I typically pet it... ...even if I am the one who approaches it. This cat was so scary and sickly looking, that I didnt want to touch him. I didnt want to offer him any hand outs as a reason to come back.

Anyways, whats wrong with this feline, and what should I do if he returns? He may have been abused or something, although still remains friendly to humans.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would say take him to the vet immediately. It sounds like he is in awful shape and needs lots of vet care. With everything you described, it could be very costly. I imagine anyone you call would put him down without thinking twice, considering his condition.
It's a very personal decision. Are you willing to commit to this cat? It could be a long road.
It sounds like he chose you though! To be in his condition and approach you like he did, he must have seen some of that cat lover in you.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Are there not any "no-kill" shelters in your area that would take the cat in and assess him/her to see what they could do to help??

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
This makes my heart hurt.....I hate hearing about neglected and hurt animals :cry: Can you take him to the vet? He sounds like he really needs some love. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to talk to my neighbors first before doing anything with him. For some reason I still believe he belongs to someone, even without a collar. After all, my cat's all mangy, as he was an outdoor cat most of his life. Ears all ripped, often comming home without a collar, as it got caught on stuff. Once he was missing for 3 days and came home with his leg all twisted just like this cat. Wondering what would happen if someone called animal control on my cat before I found him, makes me very nervous. What if this cats has similar history?

My fiancé has seen him before in the neighbors yard, and we know he HAS a cat (not sure what however). He was with me in the garage when he approached us. I had asked him if the cat was all in that shape when he saw him before, but he claims it was too far to tell.

I really can't afford to take care of this one, especially since I'm too afraid to even pet it. Is there anyone who can possibly explain if hes rabid, or has some other desease? I dont know what animal control would do. I'm not sure exactly who to call. I know when I often go to adopt-a-pets they will almost always have some messed up animal with a story. One blind, one with a metal road in his leg, etc. So I'm sure the humaine society might help. All I can do I guess is leave food and water out for him (if he finds it.) I will not let him inside however, as I care more about the safety of my own cats.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I really doubt he is rabid. If he was, he would be foaming at the mouth, etc. I found this online:

CLINICAL SIGNS. In general, signs of rabies in cats are similar to those observed in other domestic species, but the signs seen in each individual case may vary widely. Two principal forms of rabies are recognized: an excitatory or "furious" form, and a paralytic or "dumb" form. In actuality, most rabid animals exhibit some manifestations of both forms. The paralytic form of rabies always represents the terminal or end stage; however, some animals may die during the convulsive seizures of the furious stage without exhibiting the final stage. Some will show few or no signs of excitement, the clinical picture reflecting instead the effects of paralysis.

During the furious stage, which lasts variably for one to seven days, affected animals become wild and aggressive. Rabid cats are extremely dangerous animals because of their viciousness and quickness of action. Rabid animals frequently snap at imaginary objects and may attempt to bite any animals or humans that approach them. If restrained, an animal may chew viciously on metal chains or the bars of its cage. It may break its teeth, lacerate its mouth and gums, and drool a ropy saliva tinged with blood.

Within a short time, these signs give way to those of the final or paralytic stage, which lasts only for a day or two. The paralysis usually appears first in the muscles of the head and neck, the most characteristic sign being difficulty in swallowing. Signs of localized paralysis are quickly succeeded by more generalized paralysis, with death following usually within two to four days of onset.

For both animals and humans, rabies is an inevitably fatal disease once clinical signs have appeared (only three human survivors are documented in the medical literature). Therefore, utmost care must be taken if one suspects that a pet has been exposed to the rabies virus.

and also, this link:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/rabies.html

If you can't afford to take him in, after you check with your neighbor, you should probably call your local humane society/spca and have them come get him......he really sounds like he is suffering right now :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow, reading this post really breaks my heart. The poor cat seems to be crying out for your help. I would call your vet or local animal shelter and see if anyone there would be willing to come by and take the cat. That cat seriously needs to be looked at. Sure, talk to the neighbor first but hurry, the poor thing cannot walk around in that condition for a long time. It really needs medical attention. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
That is soooo sad and its even more so sad b/c the cat is still not afraid of humans and looking for someone to take care of them. When my cat Sugar dislocated her leg, she walked like that too and if it's not taken care of soon enough, that leg will have to be amputated. I hope the cat gets some kind of care soon enough :cry:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I havent spoken to my neighbor yet. The towns animal shelter is closed, and only excepts emergency calls. But tomorrow when they're open I'll call the shelter up the road and ask questions. They let their animals become adoptable. I just need to make sure its not one of those "must be adopted by such and such time" places. Plus, I also need to question if they'll save him, rather than taking the easy way out.

He is a really friendly cat, despite me being afraid of him. And I've seen so many cats that wont even come near a human, even if theyre living with them. The problem is, this cat really isnt that attractive. I mean, if you could overlook his leg issues, his face is rather freckled. He reminds me of one of those red headed freckled goober kids. I have never been afraid of such an animal. But he seems so helpless, that i cant really see a reason why I needed to leave the room.

Anyways, I guess I will leave out food and water. I just hope he finds it before the squirrels and ants do. I havent seen him since I left the garage and started this topic. But I guess if he comes back...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Please please PLEASE take him somewhere....this is really upsetting. He obviously wants some help/attention, and I doubt very much he is rabid - you would be seeing signs if he was.
He needs to be helped, and is asking for it. Please help him...don't be scared of him, if he is coming over to you, he is not going to hurt you in any way......
:( :( :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I guess this story has a happy ending. At 9.30am this morning a young adult found the disturbing cat in my neighbors yard. He had rang the doorbell of my neighbors but they did not answer. He then rang my doorbell and asked if I owned an orange cat. I explained to him how I saw him yesterday and if I saw him again I told myself that I would take care of the situation. The cat saw me and came limping my direction. I showed him where the food was. As he started eating, I walked inside for my phone. I no longer was afraid of the cat, as I for some uncouncious reason, I petted his head before I went to get my cell phone.

I came back out with the number dialed, about to press call, when I found a lady walking across my yard. I was, of course going to ask all the proper questions before sending him to the shelter. There was no way on earth Id send him to an early grave. Anyway, turns out it WAS my neighbors. I have never spoken to the woman before. She told me how the cat was born in 86! 86?!? for an outdoor cat?!? thats amazing! I told her about how I usta have an 86 outdoor cat till 99. And how the cat I had now had his legs messed up too, despite looking 100% normal. I questioned about him being outdoors as theres a dangerous street two houses passed them, and we're homes to hawks, bobcats, owls, and coyotes. I figured that he was prime target as prey in that condition. I explained to her that the condition of the cat and the fact he had grease all over him made me feel like he was a stray. And suggested they get a collar.

She then told me more about the cat. His name is Sparky. Hes 18, he was hit by a car. The vet said he would get better, years proved that wrong. The cat is deaf. She claimed that he only hangs out in their back yard. I told her how I was going to ask them before I did anything on the basis that I recognized his meow. He usta meow at night when I would try to sleep. I figured it came from around their back poarch. That was the only household I was going to ask about the cat, and only for that reason.

I am very shy, I'm thankful that the kid driving by stopped to ask.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Day 3, another person rings my doorbell. Its another person who was just driving by and saw the cat. However, they had already called the humaine society before they rang my doorbell. I explained to them whos cat it was, its history, and how it was crazy to have such a cat as an outdoor animal. But he managed to live this long, I dunno. I just hope they dont pick him up. We put him in the back yard of the owners house. But I dont know how well he'll stay there. Hes a cat, but hes a cripple.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts