Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is probably a passionate subject for many of you. I am thinking of getting a scatmat for 2 reasons.

1. to keep a neighborhood cat from coming up and spraying on my front door. It seldom rains in phoenix so it should be okay to place outside.

2. to keep toby off my kitchen counter. (please, I know about the various training techniques, but he just doesn't care.

NOTE: Please feel free to PM me if you think you might get flamed here.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Scatmats work in some situations, but not all. We used one in our carport when we wanted a local tom to stop sitting on (and spraying) the hood of Hubby's truck. It did keep the kitty away.

However, the Scatmat was a failure in the kitchen. Gracie could hear the high pitched sound the electric current made, so she simply learned to walk around the mat when it was on, or walk all over it when it was unplugged. All it ended up doing was annoying me when I was trying to use the kitchen space...

Based on our experience, it may be worth a try for your front door but don't have high hopes for Toby, who will surely figure out a work-around right away :)!

Fran

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a problem with neighborhood cats coming into my yard and pooping and peeing by my doorsteps. I went out and bought a box of mothballs and sprinkled them around the steps. I had to smell the moth balls for a couple weeks, but after that, not one cat ever made a mess by my steps ever again. Retrained all of them, they dont wanna go where that stuff is.

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
My sister lives in Tucson and is getting a motion-detection sprinkler system for the cats that come in her yard at night. Her cat gets into fights with them in the windows while she's trying to sleep. She's having yet another screen replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts