Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am writing my first post in order to hopefully get approved.

I am a new cat owner (5 months) and have a 1 year old cat. She is very active and behaves like a small kitten, which is interesting and sweet, but often also very overwhelming, because she really knows how to make a mess out of the apartment and I am not used to this, I grew up with a dog, and well, you know, a dog listens to you...

The reason I am looking for help online is that recently my cat started making a huge mess with the litter. Not like cats do carrying it around on their paws, rather she does it on purpose. I caught her carrying the clumps in her mouth and the litter gets really everywhere in the house, in bigger clumps as well as smaller ones. I am trying to find an explanation, but on internet I can nowhere find anything about the cat doing it on purpose. Not sure whether that is some kind of play, or marking territory to her, but I need to find a solution.

Hope you can approve my account, so I can ask this question again and get some answers or at least experience exchange.

Thanks,
Ana

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Welcome. I've never known a cat to carry litter around like that, but cats can be very individual. One of mine liked to fetch crumpled up paper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This morning I found two big urine clumps under the sideboard, where she usually loses all the toy balls I get her. So I guess it`s safe to say that she sees the clumps as a substitute for her toys. :cautious:

I hope that getting her more toys that she cannot lose under the furniture may prevent her from doing that in future.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I've never heard of a cat carrying litter clumps in its mouth either......perhaps some automated toys like "Flippity Fish" or cat food puzzles may be more amusing to her and a challenge. Worth a try. Only put out 1 or 2 at a time. All the best!

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
80 Posts
Wow, that is unique. Maybe try non-clumping litter so she can't pick it up? Best of luck!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are you scooping the litter box every day? If not, start doing it every day faithfully. If so, scoop it twice a day. If that doesn't stop it, go to three times a day, or every time you walk by.
If you make it so that there are no clumps in the box, she won't be able to do this and you can break the habit.

If you cannot scoop the box frequently, due to being away from home at work, then start using non-clumping litter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ugh! Kitties have strange minds.
I would try adding an extra litter box in another room for territorial purposes. Does she seem to take the litter to any particular room? If so, put the extra box in that room.
And a definite yes to what Mosi said! Keep it clean and she won’t have anything to carry around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts