Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to do? This has been deviling me for about 2 months now. I had it years ago and it pained me for nearly two years. Tried physical therapy without much success and pills...well I'm a very lazy pill taker. Last week I turned the wrong way and my leg gave out, luckily the christmas tree I was taking down cushioned my fall :lol:

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have recurring back problems. When I have had sciatica I found massage therapy worked pretty well for me. It definitely doesn't make it go away quickly but it makes it much easier to get through the day. I was treated by a chiropractor for it in the past as well. I personally have found that massage works better for me.

But the absolute best thing for me is using my balance ball. It allows me to get a lot of gentle stretching in which makes me feel way better! part of my problem when my back goes out is that one of my hips drops, so it is visibly lower than the other one, my whole body goes crooked, I can't stand up straight. But by using the balance ball I can get my back into proper alignment :p

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
I'd suggest a chiropractor. There is a certain chiropractic technique that's quite effective against that type of problem. If you want to pm me with your location, I can find out if there is one near you that uses that technique. :)

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
I had a bout of sciatica back in May of 2005. It was downright horrible! If I was in any other position besides standing straight up or laying perfectly flat, I was in pain. Merely rolling out of bed was painful. Try driving a standard shift with sciatica!!!!! 8O

Now what was given to me was a painkiller along with a muscle relaxer. And trust me, I wanted to take my pills because I could not stand it! But one thing my doctor (my primary care physician is a DO, or osteopath, rather than an MD) suggested was to apply both heat and ice at the very base of the spine, just above the buttocks. That along with my meds made a difference. It flared up on Thursday early in the morning and by Sunday night/early Monday morning, I was able to get a full night's sleep w/o being awakened from the pain. However, for me, the pain ran from the buttocks to a couple inches below the knee. How far does your pain run? Once the sciatica pain let up, I went back to my doctor for followup. He set me on the table sideways and did some chiropractic techniques to help line up and center my two legs with my spine. So far, no recurrances.

If I may ask, do you carry anything in your back pockets? My doctor was guessing that with my carrying my wallet in my back pocket and driving a forklift may have been enough to trigger the sciatic nerve irritation. Indeed where the bottom of my wallet was in my pocket was where the pain started. I now carry my wallet in my front pockets or my coat at all times. Anybody that has operated a forklift knows what a rough ride they are and the bouncing most likely caused the wallet to jab into my buttock enough to trigger this.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
LoveMyKitties said:
part of my problem when my back goes out is that one of my hips drops, so it is visibly lower than the other one, my whole body goes crooked, I can't stand up straight.
My doctor noticed that same issue when I had my pain. Granted my hip did not drop so much as to be easily visible as in your case, but my doctor did notice it. He just put me on the table and stretched/manipulated me to line everything up.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I agree with the suggestion for chiropractic. I have had back problems for years and this treatment has saved me.

I would also say that even though PT didn't help you the first time, don't rule it out. I had a horrible first experience with PT and ended up worse than when I started :( . But I tried again recently with a new person and it worked!!

A good friend of mine has had great success with acupuncture for her back pain.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
my3kitties said:
shengmei said:
Acupunture and Dong Quai.
I've heard of acupuncture, but not dong quai. What's that?
It is an herb specializing in curing all kinds of "yin" pain. It is available as pills or capsules but they are WAY overpriced and inefficient. I just go to China town and buy a pound of the dried sliced Dong Quai root. I boil it with some water and add sugar to taste.

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
Just a caution for those readers of this thread that are about to rush out to their health food store to buy dong quai: this herb is potent; it has medicinal properties; it does interact with some prescription medications. Don't use it unless you know all the facts about it, and if you're taking prescriptions, consult your physician. :)

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
Oh, that's all right. No problem. The same caution applies to all alternative medicine....don't use it unless you know what you're doing.

The reason Eastern medicine has been used by the Chinese for thousands of years is because it's been effective in the hands of those trained and experienced in its use. But it can be useless at best and dangerous at worst in the hands of those who don't know what they're doing.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your input. Before I posted I was thinking about having
my chiropractor do some manipulation. I have seen an accupuncturist before and she did wonders with relieving the pain in my arm caused by a herniated disk in my neck, but our schedules did not work out. grrrr Now that our office manager is back from sick leave, I am planning to look into the accupuncture thing. OMG I sound like an old lady...oh yea I am.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've had sciatic pain for 6 months now. PT and pain killers didn't help. I got temporary relief from sitting with my back arched, but I sit about 8 hours a day and that position is not comfortable for very long.

What I found that helps is weights at the gym. When I started doing lower back weight exercises and outer thigh exercises, the pain subsided. When I miss the gym for 5 days, it comes back.

Both my PT and doctor seemed hesitant about chiropractic care in my particular case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts