Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so confused! I have two little kittens that are nine months old now. I started them on Purina as I received a recommendation from a friend who has three cats and one kitten. Then my vet told me that this is like junk food and so I switched to Science Diet. They have Science Diet dry kitten food out all the time and then I give them Sophista Kitten (from Petsmart) or Science Diet wet kitten food daily as a treat. I came over here from the LUSH forum and a few people wrote that Science Diet really isn't that good for them. I keep seeing Wellness as a suggestion but I went to Petsmart's site and it wasn't listed. I could try another store or go in person to ask but what is your view on Science Diet? I am hesitant to switch foods because they weren't happy during the previous switch

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Here are the ingredients in the science diet kitten formula (copied straight from their website):

Ingredients
Chicken by-product meal, corn meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), corn gluten meal, brewers rice, chicken liver flavor, dried egg product, L-lysine, soybean mill run, DL-methionine, taurine, L-tryptophan, L-arginine, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (potassium chloride, salt, magnesium oxide, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

Here are the ingredients for Wellness (which I happen to use, but am using as an example here because you mentioned it in your post):

Made with 100% Human Grade Ingredients, Wellness is the first cat diet featuring two Human Grade Meats as the first ingredients: Human Grade Deboned Chicken and Human Grade Chicken Liver.

Product Ingredients  
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Liver, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Whole Oats, Canola Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols & Rosemary), Cranberries, Blueberries, Flax Seed, Eggs, Peas, Taurine, Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Spirulina, Norwegian Kelp, Whole Apples, Zucchini, Sweet Potatoes, Yucca Schidigera, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, Pro-Biotics (Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus), Pre-Biotics (Mannanoligosaccharides), Beta-Carotene, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Iron), Manganese Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Manganese), Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Cobalt), Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Copper), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity).

As you can see the ingredients are VERY different. The first ingredient in the science diet is by-products...beaks, feet, gross stuff that's left over...

You can buy products like Wellness, Chicken Soup for the Cat lovers Soul, Innova, California Natural, Felidae and many others you see on this forum at many online stores and also at the smaller privately owned pet stores. i have yet to find it at a chain.

In my opinion none of the science diet foods are any different then the other junky grocery store brands.

[/b]

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You have come to the right place....everyone here has a lot of good information about cat food. Science Diet really is not a good quality food. They use alot of fillers, carbohydrates, etc., It is actually like overpriced store-brand food 8O :roll: Here is a good article about food:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=004

Basically, there are a handful of good foods that are used by most of the people here : Wellness, Innova, Felidae, California Natural, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, and Natural Balance are the most common. You can go to the web sites of the foods, and most have a store locator, so you can find them in your area. ( Unfortunately, Petsmart doesn't carry any of them :roll: ) Here are the links:

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/cats/index.html
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=home-tab
http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/
http://www.canidae.com/

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I agree.. you have come to the right place!

I would look into Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers soul. I havn't heard many complaints about it, and frankly it's a great food that is cheaper then most store brands! I can find it here for about $.95 a pound! It's also the cheapest to order online that i have found if you can't find a supplier in your area. Plus they sell trial size bags so you can decided if you like it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Agreed, Science Diet is not a particularly good food, loaded with too many fillers for my comfort. So many people get confused, because the name sounds so "serious", and it's pushed by so many vets. A lot of them are getting something from the company for promoting this brand, so that recommendation is meaningless.

BUT, if that's what you can afford, it's ok - MUCH better than cheap junk food like Friskies, 9 Lives, etc.

I use - cans and kibble - Paul Newman's Organic, Wellness, Felidae, Nature's Variety, and Wysong (not dry, though). I don't like Chicken Soup cans, but I feed the dry kibble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been converted! I just placed an order on petfoodDirect.com for Wellness canned food, I'm going to give it a try with my 7 cats. I would like to switch them over to something healthier. I always felt these were too expensive, and my cats seemed to love their Friskies....but I want them to be healthy too! So let's hope they like it!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
blackcatCA, Your cats will love the Wellness. I'ts the only canned food my cats will eat. I've tried Innova, Newmans, and Natural Balance.

Aaron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks aaron...my husband was less than thrilled at the price when I told him, but I am more than willing to pay extra for my babies.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
jshaffer44 said:
Superkitties...how do you like the Paul Newman's foods?
I've been considering them lately.
The kitties seem to really like it, so I like it. :D It looks and smells good, lists organic chicken, no byproducts, no fillers and minimal preservatives. I'm sold more on the canned food than dry, though. They don't seem to like the dry as much, but they LOVE Chik Soup dry. It smells SO good too.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I'm tempted to try them on the Chicken Soup. I keep hearing great things about it, and it's considerably cheaper then Wellness. Though they do love Wellness, maybe I'll mix....

By the way, aren't you fancy with your flashing/changing avatar!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
More premium food: I just bought a few cans of Natural Balance for the kitties to try, since the primary ingredients list is mostly agreeable, except for "brown rice flour" which sounds questionable, so I'm going to look into it. Anyone with info/thoughts on this ingredient?

jshaffer44 said:
By the way, aren't you fancy with your flashing/changing avatar!
LOL, fancy-shmancy, huh? Can't take credit for that, I'm a total dum-dum re: computer stuff. My friend surprised me with it, as well as the signature. 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you! I looked up Wellness retailers and my kittens have started the switch from Science Diet to Wellness. Both of them seem to really think it is tasty. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
emmetnlindley said:
RarePuss said:
Wellness sounds good enough to eat for me! :p
I agree! Mmm, apples, cranberries, garlic, blueberries, zucchini... etc. :lol:
I wouldn't advise it...I've personally tasted several Wellness flavors in the process of feeding Assumpta (y'know, it gets on your fingers despite your best efforts to be neat :oops: ...so in the interest of being an informed consumer, I decided to sample it).

It tastes like...cat food :)

The dry Wellness also tastes like cat food...though I vastly prefer it to Science Diet and Hill's R/D.

I can't say as I blame Assumpta for prefering my dinner to her own :roll:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts