Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that it's supposed to be pretty good, but then i've heard some bad things about it....

what does everyone here think?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The general opinion you are going to get here is that it is that it is horrible food. In my opinion it isn't great, but there are way worse things you could be feeding your cat.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Here is a comparison of 4 similar 'flavors' of cat food in different brands. The Science diet contains meat by products, corn meals, soybean meals, wheat flour and a LOT of other junk.

When I got my cat he had really bad(repeated) Urinary Tract Infections so the vet wanted him on Science Diet prescription. That was great until he popped out in scabs from allergies to grains(and chicken). We talked more and now he's on the EVO 95% Beef and the California Naturals Venison.

I'm happy he's not eating gross meat by products (everything so disgusting they can't use in human food, including infected meats, contaminated meats and the crap that winds up on the floor). He's happy he's not scratching like crazy from eating grains that cats aren't meant to eat :)

Science Diet® Adult Optimal Care™ Savory Chicken Entrée Minced:
Ingredients:
Water, Chicken, Turkey Giblets, Meat By-Products, Liver, Corn Starch, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Meal, Titanium Dioxide, Guar Gum, Choline Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, Locust Bean Gum, Carrageenan, Calcium Sulfate, Iodized Salt, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Potassium Citrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

EVO 95% Chicken & Turkey Canned Cat Food
Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Turkey, Natural Flavors, Carrageenan, Minerals, Guar Gum, Vitamins, Choline Chloride, Herring Oil, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Sodium, Ascorbate, Taurine, Sunflower Oil, Sodium Phosphate, Beta Carotene

California Natural Chicken & Brown Rice Cat and Kitten Canned Food
Ingredients
:Chicken, Chicken Broth, Egg ,Brown Rice, Herring, Natural Flavors, Flaxseed, Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Minerals, Sodium Phosphate, Vitamins, Potassium Chloride, Sunflower Oil, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Taurine

Wellness Chicken Formula Canned Cat Food
Ingredients
:Chicken, Chicken Liver, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Natural Chicken Flavor, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Flaxseed, Squash, Cranberries, Blueberries, Zucchini, Potassium Chloride,Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Iron Proteinate (a source of Chelated Iron), Beta-Carotene, Zinc Proteinate (a source of Chelated Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate (a source of Chelated Cobalt), Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate (a source of Chelated Copper), Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate (a source of Chelated Manganese), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
SD canned food contains corn, corn gluten, powdered cellulose and a some other ingredients that have no nutritional value for a cat. Yet for about the same price you can get Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul or Natural Balance (when comparing prices NB will appear higher but has 6 oz cans vs 5.5), which have none of the junk that SD has.

For dry food, SD original doesn't contain one piece of real chicken meat...these are the ingredients up to the vitamins and minerals:

Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Brewers Rice, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor,

The ingredients for Chicken Soup:

Chicken, Salmon, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, whole grain white rice, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, turkey, duck, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor

The SD is nothing but junk ingredients. The Chicken Soup has 2 fresh meats and a meal before it gets to the grains...which at least are whole grains.

Price comparison from petfooddirect:

SD: 17.5 lb bag $35.99 (on sale for $32.99)
CS: 18 lb bag $29.99 (on sale for 22.69)

IMO, there's no reason to ever feed Science Diet. There are also other choices besides Chicken Soup...by Nature would be one. Felidae, Healthwise that are all less expensive and significantly higher quality. And I know there's more than I just listed.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
IMO, there's no reason to ever feed Science Diet. There are also other choices besides Chicken Soup...by Nature would be one. Felidae, Healthwise that are all less expensive and significantly higher quality. And I know there's more than I just listed.
I'm currently feeding Li'l Smokie Science Diet Kitten food, both wet and dry. With her just getting spayed, I don't want to change up her diet until she's completely healed. The last thing I need is a 5-6 month old kitten with stomach issues on top of being spayed a day and a half ago. She's already very petite, so I'm guessing that being on Science Diet for the next two weeks (her stitches come out then) would be okay and then switch her to a better kitten food.

·
Registered
342 Posts
SD has by products and corn gluten - a total turn off for me.
Evo, Innova, Wellness are my favorite from what I read and I can see my cats like it.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Yeah...a couple weeks isn't going to make a big impact one way or another. It's the long term that counts.

BTW...the really high end foods that MowMow listed are, of course, the best wet foods that can be fed. Those brands are better than the ones I lists for both wet and dry. I was just making the point that for about the same price you can buy corn, by-product and corn gluten laden Science Diet...you can get some really decent stuff.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I was just making the point that for about the same price you can buy corn, by-product and corn gluten laden Science Diet...you can get some really decent stuff.
It's still good to know. I've won the battle in theory on getting my ex-husband to feed our other cats a better quality wet and dry food, but it's getting it into practice that's the hard part. I'm hoping that with the addition of Li'l Smokie, he'll be more inclined to pay more attention to what I'm telling him about the research that the members of CF have done in regards to higher quality cat food.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The flavor that MowMow mentioned is sadly one of the better ones.
I looked at a bag when I was at the vet's today and it started off with Peas...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts