Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was just reading about that odd behaviour of scooting and it's causes.

Thing is, I have seen my cat do this a couple of times. But not often. My question is, does it necessarily mean that he's got a problem? Or could he be just, well, scratching? It worried me when I read that.

He doesn't have a kitty litter since he goes outside during the day, so I can't check that.

Guess I'm just a little paranoid since I've never owned a cat before and I'm afraid he might get sick and I won't notice. But usually when they've tapewarms or something weird like that, they show recognizable signs, right? Like lethargy, loss of apetite?

I worry easily :(

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
My cat does the same thing, only I see him do it about 2-3 times a week. I'm afraid it may be a problem with his anal glands but he doesn't seem really uncomfortable, so I don' think its a huge problem.

He did have tapeworms a while ago. I didn't know it until I found the small dried up sections all over the place. He didn't show any signs.

Being outside, your cat is prone to getting into all sorts of things. I would suggest getting him checked out just in case. You may even want to consider keeping him indoors for his health and well being.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not really an option, he only goes outside during the day and he is sooo happy. You just can tell when you see him bouncing in the grass.

I don't think he's sick. He's very active, has a huge apetite, just wanted to know what signs to look for. Just wanted to know if just scooting would mean there's a problem, but I see it's not necessarily.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The main causes of scooting are worms (possible since he goes outside), impacted anal glands (which could abscess if not treated promptly; which is very nasty and ugly to treat!), and, um, what shall I call them, "dingleberries" -- little pieces of poop that cling to the fur (more of an issue with longhaired cats, of course).

In any case, it is a sign of discomfort and should be checked by the vet.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts