Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby usually goes deer hunting every year, but he hasn't the last couple years because he's been so busy at this time of year. But yesterday, on his way to the job site, he slammed on his brakes, and quickly put it in reverse. Someone had just hit a deer with their car, and left it. It was alive, but it was suffering. :sad He called the sheriff, and they came out to put it out of it's misery, and tagged it for him! So we have venison for the freezer, and we'll process a portion of it for the kitties! WOO HOO!!!!!

It was a way sad circumstance of how the meat was presented for us, but in the end, the deer is no longer suffering, and we get to put some greatly appreciated meat in our freezer for us, and the kitties. :thumb

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
First off, pretty crappy of the people to leave the deer there suffering without calling someone out to help.

Second... That is the ONLY! thing I miss about NJ. My brothers are avid deer hunters.

Venison minute steaks with onions and peppers... lucky you and very lucky kitties!

·
Registered
431 Posts
At least he didn't slam on the brakes and grab the rifle he keeps behind the truck seat to kill one that was standing off to the side of the road... That's my dad for ya. He's a hunting nut... but we always have meat in the freezer, and we give a lot of it away to local families who can't afford a lot.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree Krissy! Sadly deer/vehicle hits around here are very common, especially at this time of year. They probably didn't realize it was still alive.

It was a 7 pt buck, and thankfully Dave got to it first, because there was SEVERAL hunters who stopped, and asked if he was taking it. Right place.......at the right time as they say!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Before I moved last summer I lived out in the woods in the middle of no where and one summer I was chilling inside when all of a sudden I heard this screaming outside. My mom and I ran outside and there was a bear in our drive way attacking a deer. My dads gf saw the bear go running off into the woods after all the people showed up. We knew we had a bear on the property but the bear doesn't like our dogs and has always stayed away from the house till this happened! Anyways the dear was lying in our flower bed, poor thing was injured beyond repair, drooling but alive. It's back was splayed open and my mom thinks the bear got it's spinal cord. We tried to call the sherif to come shoot the deer and they flipped "OMG A BEAR!? DID YOU GET A VIDEO OF IT!?" "What? No! I was more worried about a black bear in my yard than about grabbing my camera to video tape it! Can you just send someone out here to get the deer?" "Oh don't worry about the deer it'll probably wander off and die on its own but if its still there tomorrow we'll send someone to come pick it up" "Sooo you want us to sit here with bear meat in our front yard while it suffers and dies slowly?" "Oh hold on give me your address so we can send trappers up there to kill the bear!" " WHAT? NO! leave the bear alone, it's fine as long as it stays up there just get someone to take the deer away!" Finally my mom ended the conversation and hung up. An hour later a cop shows up and starts driving around our property like he owns the place looking for the bear! My dad was so depressed about the whole thing he had to have one of his employees shoot the deer, i don't know what they did with it but they took it away. A week later we saw an article in the newspaper that read "Bear attacks suburban neighborhood, kills deer in someones front lawn" o_O Just so you all know, living 26 miles from town with no neighbors within walking distance doesn't make it a suburban neighborhood.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Venison minute steaks with onions and peppers... lucky you and very lucky kitties![/QUOTE]

thats sounds lush, its making my mouth water!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ritz likes deer, and my nephew is going to give me GROUND venison (without organs or bone) in a couple of weeks. I know I'll have to supplement it with other organ/non organ/bone. She's been eating raw/commercial raw for around three months.
Is venison considered a 'fatty' meat? She needs to loose some weight. Ritz's favorite raw is rabbit, but she seems to be really really hungry all day when I feed her that meat (as opposed to just "really" hungry). She will eat beef, prefers chicken. Loves chicken hearts.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I find that going on raw, you dont' really have to worry about the kind of meat you're feeding. As long as you pay attention to the total amount you're feeding. Average is 2-3% of body weight, so if too fat, then to for the lower end of the spectrum at 2%. Likewise if too thin then increase.

Yah, I'm one of those ppl who don't believe in sport hunting but I won't get into a debate here. Just wanted to say I agree that if the animal is suffering, you might as well help it along the way. It's very cruel to just leave it there.

But back to the OP, it was a pretty sad situation, but at least it's not suffering anymore and your kitties got a source of fresh meat.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a small young buck, but hey, free is free, and we can't be choosy! We trimmed most of the fat off, because of the gamey smell/taste we add portions of beef for added fat to our human portion. The kitties will get fish oil added into their portion. After processing, we ground everything except the back straps/tenderloin for steaks. We got 26 lbs of ground burger for us, and 26 lbs of ground for the kitties! SA-WEET!!!!! :yellbounce

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
That's great that you got some extra meat out of sad circumstances.

My uncle and his step son are crazy about hunting (for meat, not trophies) ... they've got retrieval dogs and everything. I could never do it, and the rest of our side of the family doesn't really understand it, my dad used to hunt birds when he was younger but couldn't hunt deer... now it's too populated around here, just a few weeks ago he was saying how even back in the 80's he'd walk around the hunting areas with his riffle and feel like a creep because there'd be people walking by with kids and stuff. The area isn't remote enough anymore for hunting. :p

And speaking of venison, we've had it at my uncle's place a few times... every time my aunt has puked it up within a few hours! Something about it just doesn't agree with her.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Excellent! Glad he was in the right place at the right time. It's a tragic end for the deer, but at least he's not suffering anymore. Might as well take advantage of the opportunity.

Years ago I was having a discussion at a friends place about the "evils of hunting". I swore I'd never eat wild meat. My friends Dad looks at me and asks me what I thought I had just had for dinner. I looked at him and said "um...beef?". He just about died laughing. I had been eating elk and deer every time I ate there (which was alot lol) and I didn't even know the difference.

Now years later I understand that hunting in a proper fashion for meat and subsistence living isn't bad, but I could never do it myself. If the apocalypse happens I would probably starve lol. Or hope my kitties would hunt for me lol

·
Registered
709 Posts
JEALOUS! LOL Good haul, Geri. :)

I never understood why people felt so bad for wild animals that were hunted vs. factory farmed animals who were raised for meat. Makes no sense to me! I'd much rather eat a wild animal who was free and HAPPY for awhile (then quickly put down), than a factory farmed animals locked in a small area with tons of other animals and force fed crap food. :(

We grew up in a hunting household, so maybe I'm just weird.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Here in West Central IL. there are hunters out by the droves during hunting season. Most do not use all they have and it is ground into deer burger and given to food pantries. Makes for excellent sloppy joes, taco meat, chili, etc.. My kids have never known the difference. :)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's funny Cats&Plants! :p Lots of great stories, thank you for sharing!!

I am a firm believer that hunting is necessary. I believe in keeping deer and other animal population numbers at a manageable number, I think if we let the populations go uncontrolled, there would be such a limited food source for them, and you would see so many more human/animal related accidents and tragic interactions. Hubby only hunts deer, and only if we need the meat, we use everything we get too. I think it's awful to merely "sport hunt". That I don't agree with. But, that is JMHO, and we are ALL entitled to our own thoughts, and beliefs. :smile:

I much prefer a nice lean venison burger, with the added beef for a small amount of fat. It has a great flavor, and is absolutely wonderful for cooking all sorts of things! We usually just do a 3-1 mix of venison to beef.

What I have for the kitties is going to sit in the freezer for a while before I use it, just to be sure we're getting rid of parasites and such.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Your are absolutely right Geri. We've eliminated their natural predators and encroached on their feeding grounds. They can either die by a quick shot and a fast death or starve to death slowly.

Not to mention with nothing thinning the herds there is more inbreeding and physical deformities. We had a handful of white deer (white tailed deer, but they are spotted like a paint horse) at my mom's farm and the often have terrible deformities. A deer with deformed legs and no natural predator is going to survive and breed.....

Many of our local hunters in NJ hunt for sport which I would normally be against but instead of just leaving the carcass to rot they take it to a local guy who butchers it for free and delivers the meat to the local food bank. Win Win.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See, now that I agree with Krissy! That is definitely a win win situation. I never thought about the inbreeding issue though. Good point!

Back at our old house, our neighbor just felt like going out to kill something one day. Went out to the woods, shot a big buck, left it there, and then proceeded to tell us about it, then laughed. JERK!!!!!!! That just disgusts me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts