Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was at the creek today...I know this desert I live in has some heinous bugs, but this is once in a lifetime! Sat down to eat at a bench by the local habitat preserve, and there he was! A ten inch long scorpion!

And if you doubt he's a scorpion, his tag even says "Stinger". Why did Beanie Baby make a bean bag scorpion? lol

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
they're really wicked people who want to scare kids? :wink:

You gave me a little shiver, thinking about the small scorpion I found in my kitchen sink last summer. 8O

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mind scorpions, really. As far as bugs go, they're lower on the scary list than wolf spiders or potato bugs. This guy was just lurking beneath the table at the creekside.

And what's to get you guys with? ;) He IS a ten inch long scorpion...and somehow I don't think I'll ever find another one in the wild in my lifetime.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You don't mind scorpions, but you hate "potato bugs"? 8O

Isn't that like saying "I don't mind rattlesnakes, but I hate grass snakes"?

·
Registered
330 Posts
You can go blacklighting in my yard and collect the arizona bark scorpions. They are nasty little things, not like the scorpions you would find in other states.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jennyphx said:
You can go blacklighting in my yard and collect the arizona bark scorpions. They are nasty little things, not like the scorpions you would find in other states.
Ick =\ I googled them, they are big fat ugly ones! Is their behavior more aggressive? In what ways would you describe them as different?

·
Registered
330 Posts
They are actually pretty small. They are about a few inches. They are the common species that get in your house here in the AZ desert. They are tan/beige and blend in really well to carpet/tile so it is easy to almost pick one up or step on them. They can climb walls, hang on your ceiling and fall in your bed. etc. The barks are the dangerous species with potent venom that can cause problems if you are stung. The pain is said to be excruciating and long lasting and can cause nasty symptoms. A friend of mine had a pretty bad reaction to a sting. I find a couple in the house every summer. Luckily we don't get an infestation like some people. I did see a giant hairy desert scorpion once! It was quite a site.

·
Registered
981 Posts
LOL You got me!!! If my father-step-in-law saw that he would flip out. He hates those things with a passion of a hundered burning suns!!!!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't reckon I've ever seen a scorpion other than one time in Africa. I was going to say I'd be a little bit scared of living around so many of them, but I guess it's no different to living around redbacks!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yeah, I think, of the ten deadliest snakes in the world, all of them are found in Aus... something like that anyway. It's really not that bad though, I don't feel like I'm going to step on something that might sting or bite me every time I set foot outside! :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
TrinityQuiet said:
Huge said:
Well when even the SEASHELLS can kill you, you know you live in a WEIRD country.
Oh do tell, I'm not familiar with deady seashells!
Hehe, are you talking about cone shells? Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous that they have enough venom to kill a grown man... I think cone shells are found all over the Pacific though (and the Atlantic Ocean, but apparently they're not as bad there! :lol:)

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
And those tiny jellyfish that are small enough to get through the stinger nets... 8O 8O Irukandji jellyfish are really nasty critters!

·
Registered
777 Posts
We have some interesting nasties our end to.

Black Mamba .... im sure he rates up there amongst the top deadliest snakes.

Gaboon Viper.... ugh .. Mozambique Spitting Cobra..ugh .... need I Go on ? 8O

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What interesting creatures everyone has! The only potentially spider this side of the Rockies is the black widow (the hobo and brown recluse spiders don't actually live this side of them), and the only potentially deadly snake in California or Nevada is the rattlesnake. I think the cottonmouth stops somewhere east of the Rockies too. Rattlesnakes and black widows are both very treatable. I'm not sure even our jelly fish are poisonous in the north, all we have is very cold Pacific water.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but anything thats tiny like a cone shell or one of those blue ring octopus, *shudder* I mean, I can avoid something like a great white shark, but if its so small I don't even see it! YIPES!

We have brown recluse and black widow spiders, copper heads, diamond back rattlesnakes and cottonmouths, scorpions and tarantulas. Thats plenty thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts