Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the almost 4 years I have had Barnaby, his box was rather easy to scoop the clumps out of. Barnaby digs a little trench and then urinates on the side of the box and covers it up, but a simple tap of the box knocks the clump off the side and I just scoop it up.

I don't know if it has to do with Baxter's urine or his method but his clumps stick to the bottom of the box like glue. I've seen him just step into the box, go without digging, and then cover it up. It seems that the urine leaks through the litter right down to the bottom and then adheres the clump to the box. No matter how long the clump stays in the box, it remains wet on the inside and it is difficult to scrape off of the box. A plastic litter scooper just breaks the clump into pieces so I have to use a plastic putty knife to scrape it off.

Occasionally Barnaby will urinate right in the middle of the box and I end up with a clump in the middle of the litter that never gets to the bottom of the box, but Baxter's is a whole different story. He does sometimes go on the side of the box like Barnaby but again, his clumps stick hard and you can't just knock them off by tapping on the side of the box.

I have used 2 different kinds of litter with Baxter and 2 different types of boxes and it's the same for both.

Does anyone else experience anything like this and do you think it has to do with his urine or his method or urinating?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm not sure, but I have the same problem. There was a post a few days from Payge, I think, and she was going to try spraying the sides and bottom of the box with Pam cooking spray to see if that would help...I am waiting to hear if it works :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Our cats do the same thing.. i dont know which cat does it but they dig to the bottom and pee and bury it up and I have to end up removing the clump stuck to the bottom. I wear latex gloves when I clean the litter so I just kinda pull them off or scrape them off. It's really gross lol. I hate when they do that b/c we have a sifting litter box and I have to clean the holes of the sifting part each time. Little bits of wet pee clumps get stuck in the holes and it's nasty nasty nasty. anyways I just make sure that there is enough litter in the box so that it's a nice depth. I was just thinking that the sand level was too shallow.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the same problem with Hobochangba - clumps stuck to the bottom and sides of the box that break up when I'm scooping. I get the loose ones first, and then use the scooper to scrape along the bottom (never had to use a putty knife, though!).

What's strange is that Baxter's not digging - it's just seeping down that far. Hobochangba plays in the box - pushing all the litter to one side or digging down to the bottom, then urinates - hence the stuck clumps.

I've noticed that it does help reduce the number of stuck clumps if I increase the level of litter in the box - the high-sided, covered box downstairs has the highest level of litter and it happens less in that box than the others that are lower sided, with shallower amounts of litter. Although...adding more litter means that much more to dig and play in, and that much more tossed out of the box.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That is a problem with all clay litters (including scoopable). I solved it by using "World's Best" which is corn-based, and doesn't stick. It's wonderful!

One caveat: if urine is suddenly sticking even more than usual to the box, that can be a sign of diabetes (the sugar really "glues" the clumps together and stick them to anything!). Every now and again I get a diagnosis this way -- people think I'm a genius! :lol:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't have that problem!

I don't know why, but I don't have that problem. Coopie just scrapes up some of the litter, and then goes, and then buries it. I dn't know why, but he just doesn't have any problems. I didn't know that so many people could have problems with their cats and litter boxes! :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts