Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cranberry will scratch or bite me lightly occasionally and I will get a slight bleed due to my blood thinner med. I have no intention to have her declawed and will just live with it.

·
Super Moderator
26,765 Posts
Keeping her front nails trimmed will help a lot. There are mobile groomers who can come to you. I think due to Covid, they've really been financially challenged and their prices are much lower than I thought they would be.

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
101 Posts
I agree with above. Trimming her front nails will not hurt her at all, and will help save your Band-Aids! I trim my kitten's nails as he likes to climb things he shouldn't, putting himself in danger and ruining my furniture. He also likes to play attack me, which can hurt! My older cat is more mellow, so I don't trim his nails, and once my kitten has mellowed out I will probably stop trimming his too, seeing as they both use a cat scratcher.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I trim my cat's nails because he was taken from his mother too young and is a serious kneader, including on me.
Now, my cat is not the mellow type who will let me do anything with him, and I never thought I would be able to trim his claws. But equally I couldn't take hi to a groomer. So I started out with nice petting and treats, and slowly took one paw and cut one claw. Done for the day.

I did that many times, then after a few weeks it was two claws, and over the course of about a year I very slowly got him to the point that now I can trim one whole front paw and sometimes even part of the other one before he gets annoyed. It's worth the time I put into it to be able to do that.

Most of the time, though, I don't do them all at once and that way he doesn't find it annoying at all.
When he is on my lap I will just casually trim one or two nails and stop. Over the course of a few days I get them all done.

I always believe in annoying the cat the very least amount possible. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are also little rubber tips that can be put on your cats claws. They are called nail caps.There are a few different brands and I think your vet can put them on. They grow out eventually and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take a blood thinner and bleed very easy. My Cranberry will try jumping up over the arm of my recliner and catch my arm with her nails and cause a bleed. Ihaven't had her nails cut since adopting her three months ago but will take her to the shelter on the 23rd to have them cut. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. She likes her Scratching post and uses it vigorously. She touches my face gently with her paws.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I have always trimmed my cats' claws. They get a regular manicure once a month. I don't have any difficulty trimming their nails, in fact they are so eager to have them done, as I have to separate my two in different rooms, or the other would be trying to interfere. They always get a treat following the trimming, and that's what they really look forward to. Nail trimming should be started when they are kittens, as well as grooming, and they just get used to it and usually look forward to having it done. Just clip off the sharp tips, and don't clip too much that you cut into the "quick" (vein). Often doing that will put off a cat from having its nails clipped again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts