Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Again

My staff have requested that I post this question, as it is driving them bonkers apparently.

I was a stray who followed them home when I was about 9 months old. I am now about 5 years old.

I am a very fussy eater, and when my staff give me food (even if I really like it) I sniff it and then paw and scratch at it, continuously. If my staff stroke me then I stop doing that and eat it all the time they are stroking me. If they stop I immediately stop and go back to scratching the floor and bowl. It seems that they don't mind doing that but apparently they find it tiresome at times. I have tried to explain why I do this in the most simplest of cat language but they are too stupid to understand.

Therefore I wondered if anyone can help me explain in simple human terms why I do this and how they can get me to stop it?

They did ask that arch enemy of mine, the vet - who mentioned it might be simple insecurity..? Pah! what does she know....she will be sorry one day.....plans are apaw....!!

Thank you humans for looking at my problem! :catmilk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a cat who does something very similar

before he eats or drinks anything he goes through a performance of scratching the floor. Once he has finished eating he goes through a much longer scratching performance and circles the bowl. I think this is his way of burying his food - or thinking that he is. He doesn't do it while he eats, but my other cat won't eat unless I stand beside her gently stroking her.
I think you have a combination of the two! Good luck.
eve

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think cats, just like people, have their own eating rituals :) I believe that when we domesticate a cat we keep it in a juvenile state of mind, so in essence in a kitten like state. They tend to view one human as their mommy. Kittens usually eat around mommy, some are just needier about her presence at this time then others.

Mirage always dips her paws in water then wipes them on the floor before she eats or drinks.

Cloud wipes his paws on while circling the bowl like a madman. He will not eat or drink until he has done this ritual. He also has a paw wiping ritual whenever he uses the litter box that takes about 15 minutes.

I feed my cats wet food in the morning and evening. My cat Kent will cry and cry and refuse to eat until I have properly acknowledged his thank you's. Then when he is done he will harass me (a cute harassment :p) until I then again acknowledge his thank you's.

My bridge kitty Snickers would not eat unless I sat with her. It never failed, I would have to sit and watch her until she was done.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
IMO, most cat behaviors are derrived from instinct. These instincts were designed to help them survive but as they became domesticated, they remain unable to remove those instincts from their behavior. Cats vary between strong and weak instinctual impulses of behavior and sometimes, because of our controlled environment, they manifest in ways we think are odd but they are simply survival instincts coming to the fore ... and possibly encountering a little 'glitch' here and there based on how they present those behaviors to us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies, indeed I keep telling my staff that it is my natural instinct coming out, but as I said they seem too stupid to understand. I will get them to read this and then they will realise that they will just have to shut up put up with it. After all it is what I employ them for!

Now back to those plans for my revenge on that vet..........!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts