Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cats, Huckle, is very very attached to me. Since he was young, he has slept in the bed with me at night, face to face, with his forehead on mine. He comes to lie next to me when I first go to sleep, and then he comes and goes during the night. At first, he starts off under the covers, but when I'm asleep he doesn't, he just lies next to my face.
I love him to bits, but lately, he has started this really annoying thing...if he wants me to pat him, or give him attention, he'll scratch me.
So, if I'm dead asleep, he'll scratch my face, wanting attention. He has done it every so often, and it wouldn't bother me since it was so rare, but now it's like ALL THE TIME.
If I'm watching TV and he comes to sit with me, he scratches me. I'm at the computer, he does it. I get woken up by him about 5 times a night (I've been wondering why I'm so tired? Think I just answered that question!)
So, what should I do about it? I don't want to keep him out of my room cause all my cats have always been allowed in, and allowed to sleep with me...but this is driving me insane!!!
Any ideas?????

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
You must keep his nails trimmed. Also make sure he has several play sessions a day - especially before bedtime - that will ensure a good night sleep :wink:
ps I find it adorable for a kitty to sleep the way you describe it. Frosty used to sleep with his face on mine when he was a little baby ..and now he doesn't anymore - I miss it !

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The question is, What do you do when he scratches you for attention?

When Thomas would lick my face for attention while I was sleeping, I would pull the covers over my head. He eventually stopped trying that tactic, since it did not have the desired effect.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pat him....cause I love him so much and I can't help it....and then I tell him to leave me alone!!!!!
I know, I'm totally not helping the situation!!! It's just that it's really getting out of hand.....
It used to be if I pet him abit, he'd be okay, but now he just doesn't get enough!!!!

And yeah, I think it's the sweetest thing how he sleeps next to me.....I don't know what I'd do without him, seriously. I have panic disorder, which basically means I have panic attacks all the time (well, at least when my medication isn't working) and my cats have saved my life, specially this guy. He's seems to know when I need him...it's incredible. :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Not sure it might work, but to me the best punishment is to ignore the cat when he or she is bad. Then they don't get that positive feedback they want, like you pay attention to the cat because it scratches you, if it doesn't get attention it has to resort to other methods (hopefully not as painful). It sounds like a hard habit to fix though.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have learned this from caring for my kitties - as long as I keep them entertained throughout the day they won't come begging for attention - actually I am the one who is begging them. Here is how I go :"Come on, give mommy a little kiss" :D - I am crazy about them hehe !
Remember - repete play sessions throughout the day - they must get into a program. Whenever they come and ask you for attention (in case you have omitted interracting with them for a while) take them where the toys are and lure them into play. Repete after a while. If you do so and your kitty is still excessively begging you then we will think of different solutions :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts