Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any scratching/climbing post ideas? I want to get a friend to build one for me but I have no idea if there is like a blue print or a few to chose from. Basically I want it at least 5 feet high and have some branches out and levels.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Generally with a standard post, you want a sturdy base. This will mean it needs to be big. Like, bigger than 12"x12". We have an Ultimate Scratch Post that our cats LOVE. I need to find a place to buy new sisal fabric to recover it. I love how sturdy and tall it is. The cats can *really* get a good stretch when they use it.

Are you looking to build something more like a jungle-gym with a scratch post or two incorporated into it? A simple rectangular box-like construction for an upper lounging area (box-like so it has edges to prevent accidental roll-out when sleeping), perhaps a hidey-hole under one half and the other side supported by two scratching 'legs'; one covered with sisal, one with carpet or you could even use a real tree limb, all securely fastened to a flat base.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something like this.

Image pulled from google search. I want the cat to be able to have his own place to call home. I have a feeling the dog is going to tear apart the card board fort. But one like this would run for over $200 here, but my friend can get scrap wood free and I am sure he would like to build one for me. Well, I will make him LOL

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
See? That top lounging area has the edges I suggested. That will help prevent Riot from falling over the edge when he's relaxed and asleep. I'd probably still prefer to build something a bit boxy and rectangular in shape, simply because it would be sturdy and unable to be tipped over.

Do NOT use pressure treated lumber as the chemicals used during the treatment process are poisonous. I wouldn't even used treated lumber covered with carpet in fear the chemicals could leach into the carpet fibers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok what lumber shall I use then? I just want something that wont take up much room like this box fort does lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts