Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all. You're all so nice I thought I'd share what my little one has been doing the past few nights for your comment...

Normally she's content to come sleep on my bed, usually snuggled on top of the covers against my leg, or sometimes sitting on me (untill I move and she falls off !). Usually she's happy to stay curled up on the bed someplace until I roll out in the morning, and then she pounces on me to go feed her - since that's my job in life :)

Last few days/nights though she's been waking me up by meowing and/or scratching at the base of the bed... (and I can't seem to interest her in her scratching post, but that's a different issue). So I tell her "NO!" in a voice that she understands and she runs off, but 30 seconds later she's again scratching and really bugging me (not to mention the damage!).

I figure it's more attention seeking (since she knows it bugs me) and the first morning it worked for her - I caved in and gave her food (and after she'd eaten she resumed her spot on my bed). Next morning I thought "uou're not going to manipulate me like that!" so I locked her in the room where her food bowl and litter tray are. She was unhappy when I let her out.

She's a bit fussy in that she eats both dry and wet food, and I always make sure she has dry food in her bowl - which she picks at and has a nibble now and then - I use it for her teeth etc and I give her a few spoonfulls of wet in the morning and at night. I don't want her to get too fat though, but she's always craving (wet) food.

She's also taken to ripping up paper - usually with her mouth - until the floor is covered with confetti. Luckily she has been smart and only destroyed scrap paper and amazingly avoided important stuff (which I have since put in places she can't get her paws into!).

So I fugre she's seeking attention and possibly bored as well as trying to manipulate me into giving her food with the bed scratching. I have quite a few cat toys, which she studiously ignores, and when I try to play with her she runs off - I have caught her playing with a ball here and there, but as soon as she finds out I'm onto her she stops playing. Almost as though she's saying she's soo independant that she MUST do everything herself and I can't be involved.

I don't think it's a really serious issue, but if I can disuade her from the bed scratching it would be good - I can keep most paper away from her so that's less of a worry. I thought I'd post here and see what ye feline experts have to say though.

To recap for anyone who missed my other post about her not purring - she's approx. 13/14 months old DSH and had her desexing 1.5 months ago when I got her from the shelter. She seems happy and healthy.

Comments welcome! :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
lol, she sounds like quite the little beast. Reminds me of my Xander, who is also very impertinent. I suppose you could try squirting her with a water bottle as soon as she starts the scratching; a time or two of that may cure her. As for the paper-eating, I have no idea. Xander is awful for that. He's even ripped part of the drywall backing off...he will chew any paper left out. Little monster. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I've never had a problem with scratching or tearing paper, but I have had problems with food in the past.

If you want your kitty to remain nice and trim, lose the dry food and put her only on a high-quality wet diet. Her pancreas will thank you for it! Buy a kitty toothbrush and kitty-formula toothpaste for her teeth.

I'm glad to see you posting again, RichardMEL. I hope it becomes a trend. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Annissa! I feel even more welcome now (blush).

The subject of food has been one that I tried to research quite a bit before I got my cat, and it seemed there was no obvious conclusion except for the balanced diet thing, and that cats should have some dry food for their teeth - I know too much dry is bad for them which is why I also have wet - indeed other cats I have looked after for friends etc have all been given various mixtures, so I guess I have just followed the lead of other owners.

As it is Celeste (my girl) prefers the wet food and only dabbles in the dry so I don't think it's that bad. She prob takes maybe a week to eat a bowlfull of it, so I don't think she's gourging herself on it. Still, I am always looking at various cat sites (such as this forum) to try and get the best mix for her. (I also asked the vet when she got her latest flu shots and he seemed to indicate that a mix was fine as long as it was all in moderation).

My biggest trouble with food is knowing how much to give her without overfeeding her, since I don't want a fat kitty, just a happy one. She's quite lithe now as it is (and beautiful) and I like to keep her that way :D

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Food is a major subject with all animals. I'm very anti dry food because I blame it for the onset of my cat's diabetes (the weight loss formula I tried to give him was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back). Although I'm also to blame for allowing him to free feed on low-quality kibble for 13 years. I don't intend to make the same mistake again.

I wish I could help on the other topics you've posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts