Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[i
:cry: Hi I am new to the forum.

I have had Tootsie now for about 1 year, she is approx 5 years.

When I got her I got a scratchpost which she never showed any interest in.

She has been scratching at my door surrounds, now she has started on the doors which is infuriating as it does not look nice and I cant keep replacing the wood.

I work full time and when I hear her scratching I clap my hands and she stops, but during the day I am not there to tell her off.

I got Tootsie from a cat shelter, she is a housecat and never gets out.
Is there anything I can put on the wood which would stop her from wrecking my house.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ps. I have never had a cat before, only dogs.

Thanx

Caz[/i]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You can try to put sandpaper where she usually scratches or spray with lemon scent (most cats hates the scent of lemon).

And spray cat nip at the scratching post to attract her to scratch there instead. Sometimes we humans have to show our pets what we want them to do so you can try to show her how to use the scratching post which means; down on your knees and scratch! :lol:

Well, I hope this works out but I'm sure our fellow catfriends here will give you som more tips on how to solve the problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You can try spraying bitter apple or lemon dusting oil, since they don't like the smell. Also, you might consider changing the material and style of her scratching post. Some cats prefer upright posts, others like ones that lie on the ground. Also, many cats get frustrated with the carpet-covered ones because their claws get stuck a lot. I bought this one http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=7467&sku=1158920746&tab=2&dept_id=504&c1=500&c2=504&c3=&ct1=Beds+&+Furniture&ct2=Furniture+-+Scratching&ct3=
from Petco, made of sisal with a little toy to get their attention. They really love it, and whenever I see them acting like they plan on scratching somewhere else, I put them on it. You can also try sprinkling catnip on the post to attract her. You could try putting sticky tape where she scratches, as long as she isn't the type to play with it. I hope you find a solution, it can be so tough!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have found that sometimes, location makes all the difference when a cat won't use their post. Maybe if you move it for the time being, nearer to where she's scratching now, that would make it more convenient for her. Coupled with behavior modification, it might help.

Also wanted to share with you that my cats like vertical sissal posts best, but we do provide sissal, carpets, cardboard, and natural wood at all different angles for them to scratch on. Also, the taller the post, the better, so they can stretch the full length of their body when they scratch. That's one of the reasons cat's scratch - to stretch. With all the kitties we have, we have cat trees that range in size from 4-8', although I think a 2' post would probably be fine.

Another reason cats scratch is to mark their territory, not only visibly, but scent-wise, too. A cat's paw pads release pheromones, a hormone with the cat's unique scent, onto surfaces when the cat scratches. Sometimes it helps to use a synthetic pheromone, like Feliway, to stop inappropriate scratching. Spray it on affected areas a few times a day. It's available in a spray and a plug-in diffuser. I prefer the diffuser, personally, and I have one in every room. It does work. Feliway is available at pet stores, vet offices, and through their website, www.catcontrol.com.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
You can try the citrusy or Bitter Apple type of spray to the areas where your cat is scratching. It should eliminate your cat from doing it, but also you can put some double sided tape on it also for a temporary amount of time. To get your scratching post to be more likeable, get a nice tall one and put lots of catnip and when your cat uses it, make sure to praise them and give them treats to associate good things with it. Hope it helps out some. Good Luck :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts