Cat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten is about for months old now. She has been using her claws A LOT recently. She really didn't do this before, but its like she just now discovered them. She uses them running around, when jumping, and when playing. She jumps on me with her claws out. She reaches up to the chair I am sitting on and claws me. Basically, I am covered in pretty deep scratches. My hands and legs look terrible, and more importantly, it's painful!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this? I am making her a grooming appointment first of all to have her claws trimmed. I say "no," when she uses her claws and scratches me, but I don't think she understands what I'm saying "no" to and she gets very offended and won't have anything to do with me for several hours. I don't want to cause her to dislike me, and she seems to take reprimands very personally. I'm not sure she would be able to associate a spray bottle of water with her clawing either. I'm not sure she is doing it on purpose, because when I play with her or pet her she usually plays without using claws and doesn't want to hurt me. So how do I teach her that she is unintentionally scratching and using her claws too much?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts