Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked him up... which is usually fine and he turned and chomped on my face... not a love bite.... I'm beyond livid.. I do not deserve this! I do so much for my animals. .. I spend all my money on them.. god it just makes me think its not worth it...
And then ten mins later he meows because he wants cuddles
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
392 Posts
That's a pretty intense reaction to that... I know if I pick up my Fink for too long or the wrong way he will swipe at my face. I don't think I've ever been 'livid' at that... its just a learning experience. I feel more embarassed that I didn't read his signals right and made him uncomfortable. Every cat has personal boundries

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think biting is diff from a swipe... I'm not angry anymore but he bit me hard in my face.. almost got my eye... thsts never ok in my book and it scared me... and hurt my feelings

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
That's a pretty intense reaction to that... I know if I pick up my Fink for too long or the wrong way he will swipe at my face. I don't think I've ever been 'livid' at that... its just a learning experience. I feel more embarassed that I didn't read his signals right and made him uncomfortable. Every cat has personal boundries
I was thinking the same! WOW.

Katrina89
He doesn't know how much you spend on him? He doesn't understand that concept.

He was just conveying a message the same way he would to any other cat and to him that's what you are, ... a big cat.

I have mine hiss at me at first I was like all butt hurt and everything, but I watched what they did with each other. Hissing is normal communication and no one takes offense. So, I decided to take it as it was intended, and intense request to not continue whatever it was I was doing. lol Once I started taking it as it was meant, life was fine.

Biting is a bit different I know, so maybe remembering what you did at the moment to get that reaction could be helpful so you can avoid it in the future.
He didn't do it out of lack of respect or anything close. He was communicating and reacting.. that's all

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Idc when my cats hiss or swatt.. he doesn't do that he just bites.. it really freaked me out and I don't think I can rver pick him up ever again... I'm too scared and bec I'm scared... he's scared

·
Registered
14 Posts
Idc when my cats hiss or swatt.. he doesn't do that he just bites.. it really freaked me out and I don't think I can rver pick him up ever again... I'm too scared and bec I'm scared... he's scared

If you're scared of him now, then maybe consider giving him up for adoption...

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Katrina89, I've been dealing with this for almost a year with my Lacey. Please remember that they are animals - and animals do not realize how much you spent on them, or where you shop. They react out of fear or pain. Period. It's really not a matter of if you "deserved" it or not. They just don't think this way. My guess is that he has had a bad experience with someone picking him up the wrong way or even picking him up at all. I would not be "afraid" of him, but I would be cautious and consider very carefully whether it's worth, or even necessary to actually picking him up at the moment.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Seamus has only been with you ... what, about 6 weeks now? He's still adjusting to his new home, new people, and Asia. And as you and he get used to each other, hopefully you will both learn what each other expects and to read each other's signals.

FIV cats often come from fighting backgrounds (the virus is usually transmitted through deep bites) so he might have a response mechanism of biting. If the biting becomes a pattern, you'll need to address it. But this was probably just a one time surprise reaction and it'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
NebraskaCat, you just reminded me!!
This is Asia's brother!! Didn't she just get dental surgery yesterday??!! THAT would explain a lot!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My husband can pick him up just fine..so its not necessary for me to pick him up... no biggie.. I'm over it now but he bit me before I had coffee.. and I'm pmsing so it hurt my feelings and it hurt in general

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Asia just got back from the vet and her dental surgery. She smells different in a BAD way to him - probably imperceptible to you. That is probably affecting his world. I'm not a kitty mind reader, but to me this makes a lot of sense. Remember cats rely on smell a lot to tell them about their world. He may be a bit unnerved by her and leery of any new or sudden actions like being picked up by you. Maybe he thinks what ever awful thing happened to her can happen to him and he may want no part of it so he's on edge.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Suzie has bitten into me before not aggresively though. She is a face licker and sometimes gets a bit carried away if I try and stop her. I always give her a sharp hiss in response and shut her out of the living room and she goes and sulks on the bed. It seems to be getting less now she is getting older too. I think Marcia has made a good point. Cats are very sensitive to their surroundings.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I just picked him up... which is usually fine and he turned and chomped on my face... not a love bite.... I'm beyond livid.. I do not deserve this! I do so much for my animals. .. I spend all my money on them.. god it just makes me think its not worth it...
And then ten mins later he meows because he wants cuddles
Did you ask his permission before you whirled him off his feet picking him up?. Two days after I brought Zenobi home, she got angry at me for something and bit my hand drawing blood. I asked her what I'd done and offered my other hand. She calmed at once.
I was never allowed to pet her without asking permission first, and the signal to stop was a raised paw -- the right one. I adored that cat.

I'm with most of the others, you're going to have to try and learn Seamus' messaging.

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
NebraskaCat, you just reminded me!!
This is Asia's brother!! Didn't she just get dental surgery yesterday??!! THAT would explain a lot!
Exactly. Kind of a case of redirected aggression. His world's a bit thrown off right now, Asia smells foreign, etc., so I think he took it out on you. When one of my cats was new in the house, I got swiped in the face. I was absolutely heartbroken, my feelings were so hurt, but instantly I realized that I put my face too close to hers - at that moment. Whatever she was thinking or wherever her thoughts were, I think I startled her. She jumped up and snuggled with me a minute later.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
You're cat isn't human. It doesn't mean to hurt you feelings, it isn't thinking,"I don't to be picked up, Im going to bite you!". Something upset him enough to lash out.

Your feelings of hurt are your problem, not his. He's an animal.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said about not taking it personally. Cats don't know how much we spend on them and how much we do for them. I have to say, if this cat has been biting you before, that is a sign that he does not want to be handled so much, and you maybe should have read that signal better, he didn't want to be held up close to your face, he had already let you know that he wasn't so comfortable with being handled if he had been biting. I have a feral cat that I feed outside, and she is so loving and sweet....except if I try to pick her up. As it is, I can "half" pick her up, under her front legs, but if her back legs leave the ground...she freaks. I have a feeling if I picked this girl up, especially if I put her close to my face, I'd probably lose my eyeballs. Some cats are never going to be comfortable with this kind of handling, no matter how much you do for them or spend on them, because they don't have any way to know that.

You cannot take this personally. That is silly. This is a cat, and they cannot comprehend what you are expecting them to comprehend....that you do everything for them. If you have this sort of ill will towards the cat, I'm not going to say you have to rehome him, but maybe this one you should just not try to be so close to.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts