Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My six year old, very healthy indoor cat has, over the last week or two, increased his appetite significantly. Used to leave some food behind. Now gobbles it all up, and wants more. Shows no symptoms of associated ailments or other irregularities. He's perfectly normal otherwise. Is this a seasonal thing, whereby he senses that winter is coming, and wants to eat more? Not that he can feel it getting any colder, but maybe he is aware that the day length is getting shorter?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
.. and the answer to my question is YES. A little Googling revealed that. For outdoor cats, as it gets cooler, cats NEED more food. For indoor cats,for whom the temperature still stays the same, it is clear that the cat notices the daylight hours decreasing, and reflexively associates that with winter and cold, so it is hungrier, even though it isn't, for them, getting colder. But while they are hungrier, indoor cats should not be given more food in the winter. They'll just gain weight, because their energy consumption remains the same.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have wondered about this too. I noticed my two are not eating as much in the summer. I live in Arizona but the a/c is nice and comfy. I'm constantly throwing out canned food leftovers. They used to eat two cans per day but all summer its been a little over 1 can for both of them. (there's dry food and water available too). I have not really noticed an increase in eating lately, even though the days are a bit shorter. Maybe another month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My kid, extremely solid indoor feline has, throughout the past little while, expanded his craving fundamentally. Used to abandon some food. Presently eats everything up, and needs more. Shows no side effects of related afflictions or different inconsistencies. He's entirely ordinary in any case. Is this something occasional, by which he detects that colder time of year is coming, and needs to eat more? Not that he can feel it getting any colder, yet perhaps he knows that the day length is getting more limited?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts