Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I'll let you know if it ever gets out of the 80's!! grrrrrr

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cooler weather and shorter days, so no - no "winter" issues here.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I love the dreary dark rain. I compensate with Vitamin D.

If it's actually SaD then you can get special lights to help with that.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I love the dreary dark rain.
Same here, LOVE the overcast cool days. That weather annoys the spoiled native San Diegans, but I'm in heaven.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I don't get depressed or anything, but I have little to no energy in the winter. I have to really force myself to do anything and I can easily sleep over 12h a day.

I'm getting a lamp this year...all my christmas/birthday money will be going towards a lamp so I can get a good one, but I might get a tiny desk-top one to tide me over until late Dec. I'm already SO sluggish in the mornings, and have much less energy.

Keeping in mind that this has really hit me this week - now that the sun sets before 6pm :( It's barely up anyways, we've been so overcast.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I always feel better in the summer. I take vitamin D and use a Phillips Go Lite in the fall and winter.
I bought the Go Lite on Amazon. It's not too expensive and it does seem to help.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I love dreary, cloudy weather... but I hate when it gets dark at 5PM. That's the big thing that depresses me! I would say I get a little more sad in the wintertime due to that...

I'm usually more of an indoors person as it is, so being inside doesn't bug me... but the early darkness definitely does. It makes me lazy and just want to stay inside and not go anywhere haha.

But there is nothing better than cuddling inside on a cold, cloudy, snowy day drinking a warm coffee or hot chocolate and just relaxing. The cloudiness is serenity for me. I love a nice sunny day every now and then, but definitely prefer cloudy weather.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the change of seasons, falling leaves, snow, rain. But I find I have less energy and just feel blue. A Go Lite is a full-spectrum light, right? Putting Vitamin D on my shopping list...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I definitely agree, bluemilk! I definitely feel like I have much less energy and motivation. In the summertime, even if I got off of work late or had a lot to do, it was still warm and bright out at 7-9PM... so the days just felt so much longer and everyone was still wanting to go out and do things. Now, it's dark at 5PM and it feels like the day is over lol. The winter blues haven't fully set in for me, but I know they will...

This Ohio weather doesn't make it any better... always yo-yoing...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have already started taking Vit D, hopefully it'll help.

Apparently for the happy light to work it needs to put out 10,000 LUX. Anything less hasn't been tested to actually work.

That being said, quite a few blogger reviews I read about the little (aka cheaper) lamps did say they reduced afternoon sleepies and snack cravings in the office, and helped them to concentrate more. There's at least a $100 difference between the 'approved' and 'portable' lights. I'm going to try the littler one first, and if it does help (even a little) I'm going to get a bigger one late this year/early next year.

I also purchased some 'awake/uplifiting' essential oils blends and a mini diffuser for my office. (*whispers* I'm hoping the EOs will help my boss chill out on bad days ;) )

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I do think the little light makes a difference. I didn't use it Tuesday and I felt like I wanted to sleep all afternoon.
I've used it (for about 45 minutes) the past 2 mornings and I felt pretty alert and focused all day.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I really feel like any bright light would help me, lol. But I've also heard that wearing light colored clothing can also help, so wearing colors like white, beige, or even yellow can lift your spirits more than wearing dark navy, greys, brown or blacks. I personally find avoiding black is hard to do, nearly all my coats are black so I've been on a search for a nice yellow scarf.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Black coat, yellow scarf...Steelers colors! Guaranteed mood elevator! lol

Seriously, I'm taking vitamin D and I'm looking into getting a broad spectrum light.

I work , I volunteer, there's a bunch of fun stuff going on, I don't have time to be sitting around feeling blah!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts