Cat Forum banner

Secret Santa

679 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Annissa 
#1 ·
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the Lounge, but I decided here would be more appropriate since this has to do with my cat (at least a little bit).

At work we have a Secret Santa tradition. The day of our Thanksgiving Luncheon we all make a list of what we would like and then put the lists in a hat. Then we draw. We're not supposed to tell who we get. Then we get gifts for that person. We're not supposed to spend over $5 for the small gifts that we give a couple times per week leading up to Christmas and then we get a large gift at our Christmas luncheon that's not supposed to cost over $15. All the Secret Santas this year have been giving out gifts every single day! Yesterday I got a stocking full of cat toys. I just thought it was so thoughtful! I opened it when I got home and started pulling out toys for Sabby. He was in heaven! There was a big fuzzy pink mouse and some plastic balls with marbles in them. Two catnip stuffed cats, some mice, a fuzzy ball and a package of catnip. I love watching him play with new toys. He had me in stitches!

#3 ·
Good for you!

Hmm...that sounded a little condescending, but I don't mean it that way. I have a real problem with companies "rewarding" their employees for another year of exemplary service by charging them to come to the christmas party.

I've organized two stockholders' meetings for my company (we're employee-owned). When I organize it, it's free admission, we pay half the cost of the hotel rooms (100% if two employees bunk together), free dinner, soft drinks are free, but we have to let the employees pay for their own alcohol for liability reasons.

Really, it's not so much to ask for a year's hard work.

As for the Secret Santa, we have our naysayers, too. Out of 27 people who work in this office, only 9 participated. But it's really not too hard to buy a 50 cent pack of gum for your "victim." Granted, some of us got pretty lavish this year, but it's not always the case. I went out and got my "victim" the complete Rudolph the RedNosed Reindeer claymation character set at Toys 'R Us. She gets 2 or 3 characters a day. That works out to about $2.50 per day. I save that much just by not drinking coffee. Little gifts a couple times a week really gears me up for Christmas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.