Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 year old female cat and there are two males in this house and one of them is an alpha cat. The alpha cat has been acting up lately pooping everywhere. I am extremely worried about how he acts towards my female cat because he has tried to mount her before. They are all fixed which some people say should take care of that issue but I am not convinced. I live in the basement (where all of the litter boxes are) and my room is section'd off by sheets. (No door to shut) He has never come in my room before but he was in my room today. I shoe'd him out of my room and he sat directly outside of my sheets and challenged me when I tried to shoe him further. This is the first time he has challenged me and I'm not sure what to do. There have been two occasions lately where I have come home and my cat has been licking at the spot where his claws have been placed to mount her before. I am extremely worried about this and the owner of the home will not let me separate the cats on different floors. (all of the litter boxes have to be in the basement). I am not sure how cats participate in sexual behavior but I inspected her butthole and vagina area and did not see anything unusual. Is that a good bet on determining whether anything has happened? My next step is too shave my cat so I can see whether she is getting mounted or not because I am disgusted. Also, the cat will not leave the basement still which is very unusual (always spends his time upstairs) (my female cat is always in the basement)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have you tried calming pheromone sprays or plug-ins? Cats will associate you with any punishment you deal out. You can't be the one to scare him off. Your cats litter box needs to be separate from the other boxes. There needs to be one box per cat plus one extra when cats are going outside the box. Calming supplements and positive playtime within sight of each other with treats and redirecting any hard stares.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,880 Posts
Here's some good advice from another source:

Please do not shave your cat.
The fur protects her skin from various infections.
There is no way you can tell if mating has happened...by looking at anything visually.

The alpha male...needs to be taken to the Vet...since he may be in pain...from bladder...causing him to poop everywhere.
Pain also causes aggression in cats.

To keep him separate...from your female...in the basement...install a Gate using wire shelving units...attached with zip ties...to form a barrier at the bottom of the stairs.
A lot of ideas on internet for gates, or fish netting...to prevent cats going up and down.

You can make it as wide as you want...accordion style....to allow enough room at the bottom for his litter box. You can google how to build a gate cheaply, without tools.

Keep them separate...then you won't have to worry.

Reactions: miscellaneous

·
Registered
662 Posts
i agree not to shave your cat....bad idea.
I think it might be possible to cordon off your part of the basement so that the cat cannot get into your room area. But it might be challenging because basically cats can climb anything and go over it unless the barrier goes up to the ceiling.

My understanding is that the whole room area would need to be blocked, not the stairs, because the other cats need to come down to the basement to use the litter boxes.

Shelving units won't go all the way to the ceiling, and might be too expensive, but if that works then go for it. If you can afford folding screens that the cat cannot climb then that may work.
Take a look on your local Craig's List or go to garage sales and see if you find anything that might work.
Google "DIY block off part of a basement" and see what comes up.
Good luck!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi J. You got me curious, so here's an article from a Cat Behaviorist, Pam Johnson-Bennett, that may explain the mounting situation.

"If this behavior happens out in a free-range environment with intact cats, or if we see it on a nature program, it’s something we understand as normal animal behavior. However, when it’s a neutered male cat attempting to mount a female or even another male in the household, it causes concern for many cat guardians. Even more upsetting for human family members is when the cat decides to start humping a visitor’s leg.
Some Reasons for Mounting Behavior in Neutered Cats
For most cats, this type of behavior stops after being neutered. The behavior may not stop immediately after castration surgery though. It may take weeks and in some cases, months or even years. After being neutered, there is a dramatic reduction in testosterone levels but the hormone is still present just as a reduced level of progesterone will still exist in the system of the female cat.

Even after being neutered, the male may become stimulated enough to try to mount a nearby female cat in heat due to her scent. A neutered male can even display mounting behavior toward a spayed female. Veterinary behaviorist, Nicholas Dodman, has suggested this may have something to do with the fact that the female doesn’t smell like a male. Since intact males can detect the odor of a female in heat from a distance, the fact that the female, although not giving off the scent of being in heat, may have enough of a scent to trigger the male. Cats neutered at an older age may be more likely to engage in mounting behavior as well. High levels of social stress may trigger mounting behavior just as it can trigger urine-marking behavior.
Mounting behavior in neutered cats can also be an attempt at reinforcing status. If you allow your neutered cat outdoors he may encounter an unspayed female and her scent may be enough to trigger the behavior.

Some cats display the behavior toward objects such as pillows or toys, and then there are also the embarrassing situations where the cat humps a human’s leg. This behavior may be an indication that the cat requires more attention and constructive outlets for his energy".

Hopefully the article will help you to understand what's going on. Meanwhile, you could try a tall gate on the bottom of the opening with the curtain closed over the entire opening, keep your cat's litterbox on your side and the other boxes on the other side, and try to make friends with you, your cat, and the male. He may pick up on any anger or frustration on your part and make matters worse. You could try playing with them separately at first when they're on opposite sides of the room with treats and praise, followed by introducing them to each other visually with play, treats, and praise, then in the same room together with play, treats, and praise. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts