Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toby has one loose stool about every other day. Nothing different in his diet. Sometimes when I clean his 2 litterboxes in a 24 hour period, he'll have bith a firm stool and a loose stool ( I can tell by the way it clumps and looks different than his pee)

He's been checked out clean, and put on metronidazole (flagyl) twice. Of course it got better, but that may have just been the timing.

Possibly just the way his gut is? He has no other outward symptoms.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I've mentioned T. Foetus to you a couple times already...has he been tested?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke to the doc, she said that when they sent his fecal in to be tested back at the time of his neuter (a fresh sample "squeezed" out of him) they also tested for T. Foetus using the PCR method which I understand is one of the better ways.

It came back negative, but at the time he may have been on flagyl which can hide the true results. We decided I'll try to get a clean, fresh sample if possible, as it should have as little, or no, cat litter in it.

I guess the odd part is that he has mostly well formed form stools with the loose ones coming only every 2-3 days. While she did like his EVO 95, She also mentioned that it may be a bit rich for some cats and that I may consider something else. We'll see.

Thanks, Doodle, for the tip.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi, I'm not sure about your situation, but occasionally my kitties would get loose stools and after googling for answers, I found that over feeding is a possible cause and I think maybe that was the case for them. I was struggling with finding an amount to feed them as they were growing kittens and always seemed so hungry! Just another possibility..

Good luck!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yayhappens - he's been off flagyl For quite some time. By "rich" she means to high in protein.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update, and possible help for anyone who does a search with a similar problem.

I haven't been able to get a clean stool sample for T. Foetus. But everything has been good since I took his chicken jerky away. Now the only treat he gets is freeze dried chicken.

he has 1 firm, tootsie roll like, stool a day.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts