Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has an 18 year old male cat who is behaving oddly. He is obsessed with his water dish. He spends a lot of time staring at it and meowing for my son to fill it (it's already full). He is now waking my son at 4 am meowing and trilling because he wants to eat. There are 5 other cats so feeding Cosmo at 4 am is not feasible. He follows my son everywhere. We know he's acting so differently because he's getting older but these obsessions are making my son and his girl friend crazy. Cosmo has been to the vet and there is nothing physical wrong. Has anyone else had this problem? If so is there anything to be done?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did the vet consider any type of neurological issues, especially considering this is an older cat? Also, is the cat deaf or blind?

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Cosmo sounds like a sweetie...poor old boy...
When do you feed your cats their last meal?
Could you feed Cosmo something right before bedtime to tide him over?
He might be getting an upset tummy at 4am, simply because its empty...
and a last 'nightcap' of food just might help...
Have there been any other life or schedule changes?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's neither deaf or blind. I don't think any neuro issues were mentioned but I'll ask. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because of the rest of the "brood" Cosmo doesn't get any wet food before bedtime. He has dry food out all the time and when my son does feed him Cosmo often just turns away. I hate to see him like this. He was such a strong, beautiful cat. There have been no changes in the house.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is the dry food maybe to difficult for him? Any teeth or gum issues? What did the vet do? Maybe he needs a full blood profile to check kidneys? Is he drinking a lot? With a cat his age, sometimes changes are quite sudden unfortunately. The first thing you can do is go through a process of elimination with the vet. If it were me, I'd get blood work done, have the vet check his teeth and for neuro issues and go from there. Like 10cats said, maybe try feeding a little later in the evening to prevent hunger in the night. Wet food might be the way to go if he's not taking to the dry.

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on Cosmo. He's been to the vet again and everything looks ok. He is now on special wet food for his kidneys (a precaution said the vet) and vet says Cosmo is simply getting old. He had a number of teeth removed several years ago so that's not the problem either. Poor Cos. Please think kind thoughts about him. He's a love.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts