Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel I have reached a dead end with my poor cat Suki.

Since October 2020 she has turned into a completely different cat, she is around 14 years old and used to have the funniest, active personality (almost like a kitten) she was joined at my hip since the day we got her and due to my change of circumstances, moving to university we have noticed she has changed dramatically, I’m not sure if this is just coincidental.

She continues to live in the same home with my mother and brother who have done their best to give her the attention is used to.

Her behaviour has changed so dramatically in the sense of not eating, vomiting and diarrhoea and not wanting any attention or going outside.

We took her to the vets a number of times since then for antisickness injections, blood tests and a scan on her insides which have all come back clear. With no obvious cause for concern ( other than she has lost weight from throwing up every day) this makes me think could it be anxiety? Although I’m not sure. I believe this because it was rapidly onset from the time of me moving out and possibly the routine being altered since covid-19 and everyone being at home more than what she’s ever been used to.

She is regularly flea’d, wormed and her food remains the same and has for some time.

We are now in February and although the vets are reviewing her to see if she is putting on weight, we continue to have the same issues:

Vomiting mostly in the early hours in the morning, we have tried to feed her later in the evening to see if it was because she had an empty stomach but it just meant she was throwing up more food. She will occasionally throw up at random times of the day. If she does go outside it is for short periods of time, she would eat a lot of grass and almost instantly she was throw it all back up.

Diarrhoea comes and goes but it is mostly the case to the point where she does not do it in her litter tray, same with urinating. Her litter tray is clean and is changed every time she uses it. We had an accident this morning we’re we discovered she had had explosive diarrhoea all up the wall and in her cat tree where she resting that night.

Hunting for food. This has been a new observation we have made that she is constantly wanting food even if she has just been given her own food that she’s scoffed down. We spoke to the vets and they advised us to up her food because she’s lost weight she could be hungry and to help her put weight on this doesn’t stop her from poking her head trying to eat your food. This is not usual behaviour for her.

Restlessness. Her routine before all this was spot on soon as she was fed she would come up to my room and sleep in my bed. If I came home from work for lunch she would wake up for a fuss then go back to sleep when I went back to work. My brother would come home from college and feed her, she would the go back to bed. Then when I come home from work she would want to play, be fussed and be a happy cat then get into bed with me and sleep til around 5 am with the occasional humorous maddy up and down the stairs playing with her cat toys.

Now she hardly sleeps or plays, if she does the slightest noise will wake her up and she will get up, she also keeps pacing especially when hunting for food and is acting as if she is really nervous and scatty.

I’ve noticed her fur has changed. She has this beautiful silky black fur and now it’s nearly all the time raised, like when their tails go bushy but only her back. Her fur has changed to of a waxy texture and she is seeming to groom any chance she gets.

I’m not sure what we can do to try and help her but we are at complete distress as we want her to be stable and happy and I feel she is far from that right now and it is honestly breaking my heart.

I really hope you can help or could point me in the right direction to try and help my best friend,

Really appreciate you taking the time to read this,

Suki’s mum

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Does your vet know about the diarrhea? That probably needs to be treated. You can try Fortiflora, which you can get without prescription or your vet can prescribed something else.

I have a cat that had diarrhea for months. My vet fially did a biopsy & she tested positive for intestinal lymphoma. She's been on oral chemo for the past couple months. Her diarrhea is finally better and she's started to gain weight back. She was also throwing up about 5 am a lot, just fluid, & that's also stopped now.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply!
Yeah, the vet knows everything. They have just encouraged us to give her soaked chicken but we are finding she is having spells of really good days then really bad. She can sometimes go a week without any sickness or diarrhoea ( hard stools again) but she’s still not as perky but could be because she’s lost a bit of weight or something else going on. Something triggers her and she goes back to vomiting and diarrhoea but her diet and routine hasn’t changed since October. It’s a funny one. I have posted on other forums and they have advised a second opinion at the vets so I’m going to look into that!
thank you so much for your help

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Have you had a blood test done to check for hyperthyroidism?
I've dealt with two cats now, that have had thyroid issues...
What you're describing, sounds, very, very familiar to me!
Best Wishes!

·
Registered
Oliver, Maia, Leonard, Raider, Lu-Lu Belle, Pinky, Grace, Gretel, Murtagh, Duncan and Zander
3 Posts
I cannot say this enough or any more sincerely- please give her a better quality of food, at least until she is better. My current solution for all of our cat's illness's is this: First boiled chicken with rice. Then, and it has had every positive affect for my ailing cats, Fish Oil but only if organic with very high EPA DHA. Also, after one of our male cats had a vaccination for rabies, he reacted so badly to it, he wouldn't eat and nearly died. He was as flat as a paper doll. After reading about colostrum as supplement, I tried it powdered in a bit of warm milk. It was all he would eat, for days, but he got better and quickly. I still keep on hand for any urgent feeding problems. Okay, I sound like a fanatic. Maybe a bit I guess, but then, we have had and still do have several cats, all of which have needed help from time to time. One more comment, if Suki's teeth and mouth are strong, then raw diced meat, chicken or pork mine love. And for those of my cats with eating problems, I puree their raw meat daily. OMG what a discovery! It is all true, they need raw whole, or ground meat! All good here. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
PLEASE stop with the worming and flea medication!
So many cats have had life saving issues, regarding these medications (as well as dogs!)
Unless...you're in a high rated area for heartworm...indoor/outdoor pet, do not over medicate!
Some of these medications, no matter how they are touted to be safe, have horrible reactions in pets, including death...
Just try and give this one a healthy diet, and get her off the medications! At least, for a few months, to see how shes doing!
So scary, when you're going through this...
Best Wishes!❤🐾🐾

1 - 6 of 6 Posts