Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good night, I would like tips on how to feed my elderly cat. He's losing his teeth and has difficulty feeding himself, even using pates.

·
Super Moderator
26,542 Posts
I'm sorry you're both going through this. How old is your cat, does he have a dental disease? Are his teeth falling out or are they being extracted by a vet? Your vet should be the best resource for this question since in your part of the world you may not have access to foods recommended here. My girls don't like pate, never have. They like foods with some substance and texture, like Merrick canned wet food. My Cleo has had so many teeth pulled due to dental disease. She loves her kibble, which they only get as a little treat. Teeth don't really matter to her, she's a little fur-covered Hoover, doesn't really bother to chew.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Have you tried syringe feeding him? That maybe an option for you.

Larry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cats do not really use their teeth to eat hard food. Although I don’t like dry food for cats it would at least get food into him. We have a 17yo cat with no teeth and he can still eat pate but a lot falls out of his mouth. He just eats it again. You could also take his late and mix some cat milk with it to make it more of a soup that he could lap up. Wishing you the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts